News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Pearl Epro live

Started by GravityRobert, January 12, 2010, 10:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UC

Ok, honest thoughts while I'm watching the video...

Now that does look pretty sexy! My first decent kit was a Pearl Export so I have a soft spot for Pearl :)
The cymbals look great too, but I wonder how much acoustic noise there is from them...

I don't think Joey Knotslip's demo does them any justice to be honest. Sounds like low-end Roland.

128 whole MB of RAM? Makes my measly 4Gb of RAM seem...wait a minute.... ;D

Nice to hear it has some joke kits in there too, that's what every drummer wants eh?

Must say I'm impressed by the line-up of studios producing sounds for them. FXpansion, Toontrack, Oceanway...

That last latin-ish beat sounded good...but...I think I'm not going to be putting my 2box on ebay any time soon.

Any idea how much it's going to cost?

Manfred

Quote from: UC on January 12, 2010, 10:25:12 PM

128 whole MB of RAM? Makes my measly 4Gb of RAM seem...wait a minute.... ;D

Well, you shouldn't confound RAM with Flash-Memory. Compared with a common PC, the 4GB Flash-Memory at the 2Box-Brain are the "harddisk". I haven't seen an information about cpu, RAM or other components of the 2Box-Brain. But if the editor (or the spec for the soundfiles) is available someday, we will see what happens if we try to use sounds with 400-500MB for one drum set. I hope the RAM in the brain is large enough.

Greets, Manfred

raptor

Quote from: Manfred on January 12, 2010, 10:46:02 PM

Well, you shouldn't confound RAM with Flash-Memory. Compared with a common PC, the 4GB Flash-Memory at the 2Box-Brain are the "harddisk". I haven't seen an information about cpu, RAM or other components of the 2Box-Brain. But if the editor (or the spec for the soundfiles) is available someday, we will see what happens if we try to use sounds with 400-500MB for one drum set. I hope the RAM in the brain is large enough.

Greets, Manfred

According to the video, on can load one single multi-sampled kit into memory, just one. So I guess the other kits are lower sampled files and may not allow for the best playability (dynamics, articulation, etc.).

UC

fair point Manfred, I'll have to listen to that bit again, but I was just surprised that they touted 128Mb as if it was an Amazing Feature - my phone has more than that :)

Edit: okay yeah, it says it has a capacity for 1000 'HD' sounds...I suppose that could mean 2 or 3Gb depending on compression....

Interesting to read what the Pearl community are saying about it...
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=236830&page=21

raptor

There may be a lot of compression going on to work with that 128 MB RAM. Don't know at this point. All I know is that I'm ready for a new drum module. I'm in the USA. Still considering a 2Box module, maybe this new Pearl RED drum module, or if Roland introduces a revampmed TD12 brain may go that way.
We'll see!

Steve

Everything in music is about the sound - these sounded like crap. Machine gun crazy - no feel whatsoever. They put everything into the looks - kit looks great - red module like ddrum - hits our subconcious on purpose - no accident - sounds like crap. They may want to sell the shell/pads to us to play on other modules.

The old ddrum 2 smokes any kit made since the ddrum 4. Why in the world would anyone buy something other than an older ddrum or 2box?  As soon as we get a great hi hat I hope 2box makes an IPO - I want some stock!

UC

You know what I was thinking exactly the same thing - brain looks like a TD-20X humping a DD4 :D

GravityRobert

Dr.Wu

I guess the reason why they limited the RAM to 128 MB is that no druzmmer would be patient enough to wait for 40 minutes for a 256 MB kit to load!
Unfortunately even the smallest kits from Toontrack and the other vendors easily needs about 200 MB of RAM.
So the soundquality that is to be expected from this thing is like 50% of EZdrummer!
And if you dont like the kit you just loaded you have to wait another 20 minutes to try out the next one.
Talking about having a good aural memory to A/B any purchased kits to find your favourite.
What a great example of poor research&development!
:rock:

puttenvr

I like the drums and Classic cymbals but I don't like the sounds (so far) at all
It's quite disappointing that a huge company like Pearl introduces an e-kit like this.
(perhaps) Except for the drumheads they didn't develop anything new and only put old wine in other bottles.

Calimero

But the bottles are new and shiny ;)
I think that a lot of potentional buyers will go for the look and the name.Keep in mind that most edrum customers buy it for home use,because an acoustic kit is too loud.Since this is the 2 box forum,allow me to do a little comparisment,since I am a potential customer.The 2 box sounds better but judging the pictures the pearl looks way better and from all the posts on the 2box hardware I would favour the pearl on this.If I would make a suggestion to 2box I would say,and it might sound drastical,skip the hardware,concentrate on the module (good housing perfect software and new downloadable sounds on regular basis) ,contact drumtec and work toghether.This way you will have a pearl-killer.

Remi

When you can buy the module seperate, everybody is happy and can make his own choice.

Calimero

You will have a choice between the products that are compatible.But like you said,when the modulle is availble everybody will be happy,which means there is a good demand for the module.My thought would be then,ok get the module out and spent the time used now on al this hardware on the module and software for it,let others concentrate on the hardware and combine the best of both worlds

Scottie

Quote from: Calimero on January 13, 2010, 10:25:45 AM
But the bottles are new and shiny ;)
I think that a lot of potentional buyers will go for the look and the name.Keep in mind that most edrum customers buy it for home use,because an acoustic kit is too loud.Since this is the 2 box forum,allow me to do a little comparisment,since I am a potential customer.The 2 box sounds better but judging the pictures the pearl looks way better and from all the posts on the 2box hardware I would favour the pearl on this.If I would make a suggestion to 2box I would say,and it might sound drastical,skip the hardware,concentrate on the module (good housing perfect software and new downloadable sounds on regular basis) ,contact drumtec and work toghether.This way you will have a pearl-killer.

Hi Calimero

The thing with a forum is that 9 times out of 10 you are going to hear about issues that people have had with a product, that is the nature of the beast, which isn't a bad thing, but it can sometimes make issues seem a lot more wide spread then what they are. There is a very small percentage of people on this forum with kits at the moment, compared to the amount of users out there that have them, but dont visit this forum.
From our last shipment that came in all i have had to do is send out three pads (1 x kick, 1 x snare and 1 x cymbal) and some replacement mesh heads (4 in total), which in my opinion is pretty good going.

Thanks
Scott