News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

USB type b cable to midi ? do i need it to record in Ableton Live

Started by paul_4#, April 15, 2015, 07:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul_4#

I've read that to record drumit5 or use the drum tracks in Ableton and my EZdrummer kits too on the 2box kit live is that I need a USB to midi cable that goes from the back of the 2box module to my Focusrite interface - only problem is that the USB on back of module is USB type B (the square block one) ive searched the internet and all these usb to midi cables have the standard flatter usb ending which do not fit the 2box module, and I cannot find a TypeB usb  to midi to save my life
Would an adapter from usb female to type B work ? or would it effect recording ? I also need a cable around 3 meters in length as its as close as I can get my kit to the PC ?

IF ive got my information wrong im happy to be corrected by the wise people here - any help appreciated

Jman

Quote from: paul_4# on April 15, 2015, 07:57:39 AM
I've read that to record drumit5 or use the drum tracks in Ableton and my EZdrummer kits too on the 2box kit live is that I need a USB to midi cable that goes from the back of the 2box module to my Focusrite interface - only problem is that the USB on back of module is USB type B (the square block one) ive searched the internet and all these usb to midi cables have the standard flatter usb ending which do not fit the 2box module, and I cannot find a TypeB usb  to midi to save my life
Would an adapter from usb female to type B work ? or would it effect recording ? I also need a cable around 3 meters in length as its as close as I can get my kit to the PC ?

IF ive got my information wrong im happy to be corrected by the wise people here - any help appreciated
You can only use the MIDI IN or MIDI OUT jacks on the 2Box for exchanging MIDI info. USB does not transmit or receive MIDI on the 2Box module.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edcito

Quote from: Jman on April 15, 2015, 09:11:09 PM
You can only use the MIDI IN or MIDI OUT jacks on the 2Box for exchanging MIDI info. USB does not transmit or receive MIDI on the 2Box module.

That's where 2box should work on for the next version, a modern USB port with the capabilities of sending midi and audio without the need for an audio interface. You know, like roland did with the td11, td15, td30 and now td-25 :P

paul_4#

many Thx for reply's guys - I do have a long midi cable im using for novation keyboard....I presume I can use that to connect from my focusrite interface to the 2box unit , from the toontrack FAQ I do know that EZdrummer disables midi out in stand alone mode so I have to run it through Ableton Live, hopefully the Ableton software plays ball and recognizes the Drumit5 unit - if anyone has done this before I would love to hear any tips as im certainly not technically minded and have only just got Ableton

norseman

Man, the more I check on this module the more I see its shortcomings.

USB support is old, it doesn't support MIDI output.

And its advantages:
It's really easy to make it adapt to different cymbal types out on the market. The menu is intuitive. It feels opensource.

All in all it looks 2box made a lot of compromises when making this module and avoided redundancies. It leaves me wondering how much the CPU really costs.
Again, the module is made in SWEDEN which probably is one of the reasons why the price is high.