News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

32 GB SD-CARD necessary?

Started by stargazer, April 03, 2015, 06:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargazer

I do not own a 2box yet but I would like to ask why an extension, so you can use 32GB SD-CARDS is necessary. I am asking that because the 100 kits of the original 4GB sounds plenty, yes?

And also, if it is possible to copy everything VIA USB to you PC/MAC and to replace it from other stuff from your computer, why people need multiple SD-CARDS for their stuff? Just curious.

Murgen

No, not nescessary. Unless you want to keep everything on the SD AND add extra kits (read toms, snares, kicks, cymbals, samples).

Yes, with the USB link the module will show as device / disc on your computer and you can drag and drop.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

stargazer

Ok, so I could remove half of the kits and sounds let's say and backup them to my PC. And then to fill the original SD card with extras?

Murgen

That is the general idea. And always start with a full backup of the content so you can always restore to the default. In real you will delete kit components because each kit is a list of components.
--------

Lustar

Quote from: stargazer on April 03, 2015, 06:42:53 AM
And also, if it is possible to copy everything VIA USB to you PC/MAC and to replace it from other stuff from your computer, why people need multiple SD-CARDS for their stuff? Just curious.
It's possible to move files from the module to the computer as needed but it's not practical if you need to have all your kits and .wav songs at once on the module.

Beware that the 100 kits use all of the sounds. If you want to delete half of the sounds without leaving any empty pad in kits you would need to remove from kit 7 to 100 and all the sounds used only by those kits (it can be done with drumit manager). The first 6 kits use half of the space used by sounds.

I would say that the 32GB SD mod is not necessary at first but you'll always have the possibility if you need it, which is great.

stargazer

Thank you for the clarification. But how is it possible 6 kits to use half of the sounds?

I suppose the sounds and the mp3 songs take most of the space and not the components.

Lustar

They use half of the total space that is used by sounds. All of the sounds are used for the 100 kits so some of the sounds are used for several kits in different ways.

4GB card capacity: 3.68GB
used: 3.52GB (182MB of .wav songs)
first 6 kits: 1.70GB
OS, drumit.dkit (configuration for 100 kits + all unit settings), documentation: 2.75MB

Murgen

Quote from: Lustar on April 04, 2015, 03:13:59 PM
They use half of the total space that is used by sounds. All of the sounds are used for the 100 kits so some of the sounds are used for several kits in different ways.

4GB card capacity: 3.68GB
used: 3.52GB (182MB of .wav songs)
first 6 kits: 1.70GB
OS, drumit.dkit (configuration for 100 kits + all unit settings), documentation: 2.75MB

Especially cymbals go over several kits. Same with snares and kicks.
--------

fulrmr

IMO if one plans on building kits from VSTs then, yes, the card mod is needed. Most of the kits that I have build consist of at least 2 gigs(sometimes more). At this rate you would only have one (or maybe 2) custom kits available at any given time without the mod. Besides...the mod is very inexpensive, simple to do and give you so much more versatility. Why would you not want to have this?

Murgen

He has not got a 2Box and is only asking questions ... A lot of questions. Maybe too many questions.
--------

stargazer

Thank you for the info guys. The shared sounds (cymbals, kicks, snares) explain it. Murgen, I just wanted to know what capacity is available when you buy it. Because if I buy it I don't plan to break the warranty immediately by opening it. So, maybe I will have it  year or so, before I do it.

fishmonkey

another advantage of being able to easily remove the card and put it in a card reader is that the USB connection to the 2Box module is not very fast, from memory only USB 1.1.

Nickh

For me, the removable card just makes it very easy to access the files. My kit is in one room, my PC in another so I either need a very long USB lead or have to unplug the module and take it to the PC.
The removable card makes it so much easier.