News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Different head types

Started by stargazer, March 30, 2015, 04:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargazer

Hello, as we know so far there are 3 types that can be used; rubber, mesh and real ones. I have heard that there are also silicone ones that can be used, which are even more silent and well responsive. Can anyone confirm that please?

Thanks!

Jman

There are no silicone heads just as head replacements for drums. Yamaha uses silicone heads for DTX pads but I wouldn't say they were more responsive. Feel is another thing, some like them, some don't.

Besides what you listed there are Pearl TruTrac heads, but they are Piezo/Switch trigger heads and you will not get rim zone from the Snare or Tom inputs of the 2Box module because those inputs are Piezo/Piezo type.

There are also InHead and OnHead (Aquarian brand) Those are FSR type trigger head systems. I'm not sure how much feedback you will get about those with the 2Box module. At least I haven't seen much posted about it.

As far as triggering the 2Box module though a good quality mesh head and internal Piezo/Piezo trigger system will work fine, as well as triggering from regular Mylar heads with external triggers ..... if triggering acoustic drums is the goal.  As far as the rubber 2Box heads, those also work well and feel pretty good IMO, but beyond getting them already installed on a 2Box kit I'm not sure if/when those will be available in every size for using on an acoustic kit conversion, or if they will only be available for 2Box kit/head replacement ....

Edit: DigitalDrummer magazine did test and review the Aquarian InHead, OnHead, Rimshot as well as the kickZone in the Aug. 2014 edition. And Allan did test on the 2Box, as well as Roland module.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

stargazer

Thank you for the info! Actually, I would purchase 2box for e-drum use only. I have problem with the neighbors, so I would like to buy a descent e-kit. This is my primary goal and not to convert my existing physical drum set. As it

So, for the most silent play you would recommend the mesh heads that it comes along? Also, how about if I combine a 2box brain with a third party mesh head kit. Would there be compatibly issues?

I mean the primary reason to purchase 2box module only, would be to combine it with a physical drum set? and not with a rack - mesh head of a third party company?

Also, the depth of the shells of the 2box drum set is small, so it means the volume is really low, correct?

Thank you!

hemiboy

Acoustic sound when striking the 2 box mesh head would be a little quieter than a mesh head on a full size drum shell , unless you are  talking about either amplified or thru headphones, then the volume is controlled by the module

stargazer

Thank u. No I was meaning for the actual physical volume, coming from the kit. I suppose the loudest parts are the hi-hat and other cymbals, correct?

hemiboy

Yeah the hi hat and cymbals are a little thwacky, lol!  Rubber is quieter than dampened metal, though. ok I have owned and played both.

stargazer

How about dampened rubber?  :)

hemiboy

How about just damp cymbals, if we play them under water, they should be really quiet, lol!!

stargazer

Maybe this is their master plan after all. To make us play under water, so they can get rid of the drummers.  :)