News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi hat dynamics

Started by InTheBox, March 02, 2015, 06:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff42

thanks again jman. I'll have some time to dedicate to my kit tonight and I'll go through all of your advice. I also have some other things (little things really) about the module I need to address but I am going to try and figure 'em out tonight.

Jman

Quote from: jeff42 on March 11, 2015, 04:47:56 PM
thanks again jman. I'll have some time to dedicate to my kit tonight and I'll go through all of your advice. I also have some other things (little things really) about the module I need to address but I am going to try and figure 'em out tonight.
If you get stuck, or have questions just post it up, with the variety of users here someone will probably have an answer .... a lot of the owners have been using the module for several years now .... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

jeff42

Ok I reset everything dealing with the hihat & followed your instructions. It "seems" to be triggering to my liking right now.... Guess I'll see this weekend. Thanks again. I'll report back after my sunday gig. Friday night's gig I have to play on the house acoustic kit. Meh... That's a whole OTHER world of annoyance.

jeff42

well I had everything set at practice but when I re-set up everything for our sunday afternoon gig the hihhat was almost the same as last gig. just not "right" I think I got it better than before but not totally to my liking. It still was triggered from the vocal mics a few times.

I guess this next question is directed to JMAN cuz I use his mod-

I remove your mod box from my hihat stand every time I move the kit. If i dont put it back exactly where it was will that affect the hihat?  I am sure the simple answer is yes LOL but how sensitive is that?

Maybe that is the problem. I do try to place it exactly where it was.

What about gen16s? I'm starting to look into them.

edtc

Quote from: jeff42 on March 16, 2015, 02:00:05 PM

I remove your mod box from my hihat stand every time I move the kit. If i dont put it back exactly where it was will that affect the hihat?  I am sure the simple answer is yes LOL but how sensitive is that?

Maybe that is the problem. I do try to place it exactly where it was.

for sure that is the problem...  that s why you have to calibrate it every time something changes .... the hall sensor is quite sensitive to any slight changes ...

Jman

Quote from: edtc on March 16, 2015, 05:58:26 PM

for sure that is the problem...  that s why you have to calibrate it every time something changes .... the hall sensor is quite sensitive to any slight changes ...
And that goes for electronic Hi Hats in general. Tearing down and setting up the kit, the HH will need to be calibrated when setting up again. But all the other settings for the Hi Hat will not need to be calibrated, like the HH cymbal Threshold, Gain, Foot Pedal Sensitivity. Those should not need to be changed each time. The HH calibration should take all of a few seconds after moving the kit.

The way I set up my HH calibration includes one little step that was included in the earlier operation manual. First do the HH calibration as explained in the manual. And after doing the calibration: With your foot off the pedal and the HH cymbal in the open spot; Hold onto the HH rod, and loosen the clutch nut being sure the clutch and cymbal do not move while loosening ...... then raise the HH cymbal/clutch position...... try about a quarter or half inch ..... tighten that clutch nut with the cymbal slightly higher like that after calibration ...... For me it makes the HH work much smoother/natural, and HH foot splashes and foot chicks smoother too.

Here is that original tip from 1.24 manual: Finally fix the hihat at a (possibly higher) open position which suits ones playing style.

Hope it helps. It works for me. J

Jman

Quote from: jeff42 on March 16, 2015, 02:00:05 PM
It still was triggered from the vocal mics a few times.

Do you have a personal monitoring speaker that could be causing that? If that is the case, try repositioning the speaker.

jeff42

QuoteHere is that original tip from 1.24 manual: Finally fix the hihat at a (possibly higher) open position which suits ones playing style.

This actually makes sense, I'll try it. Thanks!

jeff42

still tweaking it but I think I'm making progress. I also got a new and better hi hat stand. I have a feeling that will help too.

hemiboy

What kind of hi hat stand you using? I use a tama speed cobra,with a jman conversion and it works the best

jeff42

just got a really nice Gibraltar stand (not sure what the model is off hand) I took extra care in setting everything up with the jman mod Threshold, gain, sensitivity and so on... I Have everything marked so I can resemble it exactly like it was. I'm heading out to gig in a A-list room tonight HUGE system and a great soundman. This is the final test for me. See you all tomorrow.

mday

See my post here on using a fixed position Hi-Hat cymbal & a kick drum pedal.
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2490.msg21319.html#new

Murgen

Quote from: mday on March 22, 2015, 03:18:34 PM
See my post here on using a fixed position Hi-Hat cymbal & a kick drum pedal.
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,2490.msg21319.html#new

Genuine out of the box solution!
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

tassuperkart

Quck further question on Hi-hat operation.

Im using a very simple single Zone Alesis cymbal as a hat. Laugh it up but it plays remarkably well with the wingnut done up tight against the felts!!!
Im using a JMan controller mounted to the Alesis pedal.

What Im having issue with is the "chick" sound of the closing hats sounding significantly different and "dry" compared to the rest of the hat sounds. To mask this a little, I have turned the hats closed sensitivity setting down as low as it will go and added a bit of HOLD (sustain) to the settings, but I still find a significant difference in sound between sticking the hats and simply closing them.

When the hats close, all hat ambience is quite obviously cancelled until its struck again with the stick. Its like the closing chick layers have no ambience recorded with them if that makes sense.
Its the only annoying thing about this module.
Any ideas on this?
E