News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box Initial Setup & Sound Library

Started by cuba1956, February 14, 2015, 12:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuba1956

Hi guys,

My first drums just arrived along with 2box module and I would like to ask some tips on tuning them up. It's probably the longest post you've seen, but I really appreciate everyone's input. I apologise if this has been covered already, but I didn't find anything regarding my questions. Let me give you a little bit of background.

Short story: I play guitar and bought an electronic Jobeky kit with 2box to play with my wife (who's learning drumming). These are my first drums ever, I can't play drums yet, but I'd love to learn, because tried it, loved it.

Long story (skip to questions if you've had enough with this whiny bullcrap): I'm a guitar player, but I don't gig. I have a few guitars and usually I just play at home. My wife loves drumming and decided taking some drum lessons, so we could play together. When she was sick, I took some myself and just loved drumming, so I decided to buy an electronic kit to play at home. After some intense reading and watching youtube videos for about a month I decided to order Jobeky electronic kit with 2box, because the sound it produced was just amazing. I was blown away when I heard it, because in comparison with synthetic sound of Roland and Yamaha, 2box sounded like a real drums.

To be honest, I'm not tinkerer, so I'd love to just plug and play, try different kits and just enjoy myself and 2box fits the bill in general, but knowing there's much more than that somehow irritates me, so at some point I should be able to learn how it works and put some new libraries in, etc. So far, I've calibrated the hihat as was told by HUGE manual, but did nothing after that.

Right now' I've set it up through the Yamaha hifi amplifier (A-S701) and some hi-endish floor speakers (Triangle Celius ESW, if anyone knows).

Now questions:
1. Where can I get libraries for real drumming kits (paid or free)?
I'll learn how to instal them eventually, but for example, if I decide to learn 'The Wind Cries Mary' or 'Unplugged in New York', is there a place to look for kits?

2. Is there general tips how to setup a drum kit that will sound real and powerful?
For example, what FX should I apply, what drums need to play louder, thinner and so on... Since I don't have any experience with real drums, I struggle with most basic stuff like how the drum kit suppose to sound.

3. What's the prefect minimal setup for playing e-drums and guitar with minimum amount of devices?
I hate using pedals, but I'd love to be able to play guitar with different tones â€" that's why things like POD HD500X exists in guitar world. Now, when drums are on a table, is there a ONE-THING-TO-RULE-THEM-ALL (nerd alert) that can be used for both drums and guitar playing?
I'm tempted to buy Line 6 Amplifi with pedalboard which sounds good for guitar playing and I wonder if I can plug the e-drums in. Will it sound good and balanced? Also love Line 6 POD HD500X, but it will require a separate set of speakers, whichis fine, I guess.
Or...

4. Maybe I can plug 2box into a guitar input on my deluxe reverb?

5. Can I remove all unnecessary kits from 2box and put only I like?
I decided to stick with stock 4GB SD card on my 2box because, REASONS! (I don't like tinkering with stuff). So I will probably run out of space when I decide to put more kits in. Can I clean up the unnecessary suff like drum machine sounds and use only real kits?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate your answers. Please, don't beat me too hard, as I'm new to this kind of stuff and apologise if I'm being lame.  :drum1:

Lustar

Hi and welcome,

The 2Box website offers many free sounds (.dsnd files), and also .wav files that you can use to play along. The other ways require a bit of tinkering: if you don't necessarily need the sounds to be contained in the module you can use a computer with a drum VST (like Addictive Drums 2, Superior Drummer 2, BFD3) and connect the module with a MIDI cable. Another way is to export kits from drum VSTs to .dsnd

First you should set up the pads: set the Gain for each pad so that only the hardest hits reach "0". To adjust the main volume of each pad type you'll need to adjust the main fader levels in Unit (kick, snare, all toms, all cymbals)

If the amplifier has a neutral sound and the speakers are big enough it should be OK

You can delete kits and their associated .dsnd but it won't make a big difference unless you delete a significant amount of kits and sounds. Before deleting anything, make a complete backup by connecting the module to your computer and copy everything in a folder. If you have a PC you can use DrumIt Manager to check how much space you will save (check some kits you'd like to delete in the list on the left, click on the Delete tab, click Preview)

The latest manual is much more complete but if you're looking for a shorter manual you can use the older version: http://2box.se/download/pdf/User_Manual_OS_1.24.pdf