News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box Demo With Steve Slate 4 VST

Started by mcrackins, January 25, 2015, 11:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcrackins

Hi Guys, here's a sample drum track from a recording project I'm working on.
The kit comprises of parts from 4 different kits using the Steve Slate 4 Platinum VST. These are raw tracks with nothing done to them. Background music is song on the project, but just a reference demo.

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbag-republic/2box-routed-drums-steve-slate-4-vst

Jman

It sounds like a nicely recorded acoustic kit ... good job! So on the track description you mentioned individually routed drums. So is this a dsnd kit you that is in your module? Nevermind, I just read your other post about how you created your dsnds with SDSE ..... I love the way 2Box can reproduce great sounding drums right from the module
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

mcrackins

Thanks Jman, I'm pretty happy with the sounds I've got. One thing I found with the transfer of exported VSTs from SDSE is they seem to sound Waaay different when transferring to the module. I don't know if it's when copying to a slot previously used by another kit and it's retaining the EQ or something like that, but I had to do some major tweaking to get to what you hear. Some kits sound amazing when I listen to them in Steve Slate, then when transferred sound completely lifeless. Going to ping Lustar and see if there is something I need to adjust that I'm unaware of, which is most likely the case.

The thing I've enjoyed is the freedom with recording, to be able to record drum tracks at my leisure and take my time doing it. It's created a lot of writing inspiration and creativity. I also came across this fantastic app for controlling my DAW over my private network. I can be sitting behind my kit and start the recording process on my DAW from a cell phone or tablet. This saved me such hassles when doing my tracks due to the layout of my home studio.  The app uses virtual midi drivers that communicate over the LAN.

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/

Quote from: Jman on January 26, 2015, 03:17:17 AM
It sounds like a nicely recorded acoustic kit ... good job! So on the track description you mentioned individually routed drums. So is this a dsnd kit you that is in your module? Nevermind, I just read your other post about how you created your dsnds with SDSE ..... I love the way 2Box can reproduce great sounding drums right from the module

yzf125

That was one of the reasons I sold my 2box module the first time, It just made everything I transfered sound "Boxy"  The module definitely does something to the sounds that get transferred, I dont understand why this would happen.

espen

Please, post your findings mcrackins. I also would really like to know if there is some explanation on this.

eyerichards

I agree with all the above observations. I would love to know why as well.

Jman

Quote from: mcrackins on January 26, 2015, 02:41:55 PM
Thanks Jman, I'm pretty happy with the sounds I've got. One thing I found with the transfer of exported VSTs from SDSE is they seem to sound Waaay different when transferring to the module. I don't know if it's when copying to a slot previously used by another kit and it's retaining the EQ or something like that, but I had to do some major tweaking to get to what you hear. Some kits sound amazing when I listen to them in Steve Slate, then when transferred sound completely lifeless. Going to ping Lustar and see if there is something I need to adjust that I'm unaware of, which is most likely the case.

Normally when I add kits to my module I add the kits straight from SDSE as extra kits, not in the top 100 slots. You might want to try that. I think you will find if you play a kit that way especially sending individual outs with no module effects the sound is a whole lot different than listening to a typical kit in a stock slot through the module headphone jack.

jeff42

Maybe I am misunderstanding this... does the 2box module add different effects to the samples depending on what drum kit "slot" they are in?

Jman

Quote from: jeff42 on January 28, 2015, 07:25:59 PM
Maybe I am misunderstanding this... does the 2box module add different effects to the samples depending on what drum kit "slot" they are in?
Yes and No.
1. Yes example: Let's say you built a BFD2 kit using SDSE. You put new files on the 2Box module. Now you go to the stock kit no. 1 in the 2Box module and you change the snare, kick, toms, Hi Hat, cymbals with the new instruments from your new samples. The result will be you will have a kit with all the settings that the stock kit no. 1 had, but it will have different instruments.

2. No example: You build a BFD2 kit using SDSE. You put the new files and the new .dkit  file that was created in SDSE in the module. If you open up that kit as one of the Xtra kits it will not have the settings like I mentioned in the Yes example. It will carry the SDSE .dkit settings.

3. You build a kit in SDSE you put the kit and .dkit file for the kit on your module. You "import" that new .dkit to one of the top 100 spots on the module. It will Not carry the settings of the original kit that was in #1 spot on the module. It will have the settings from SDSE.

teletom007

Yes jman, exakt.
One tip. Use DkitManger Form lustar and you can See all Parameter. Set it to  default without eq and FX.

Tom

jeff42

thanks I looked over DkitManger and it will be downloaded tonight!

mcrackins

Quote from: Jman on January 28, 2015, 06:31:53 PM
Normally when I add kits to my module I add the kits straight from SDSE as extra kits, not in the top 100 slots. You might want to try that. I think you will find if you play a kit that way especially sending individual outs with no module effects the sound is a whole lot different than listening to a typical kit in a stock slot through the module headphone jack.

Correct on the individual outs Jman, but that should have no bearing on the VST sample sounds when outputted from the module to a DAW. Unless the module EQ isn't flat. Lustar sent me a bunch of info, but I'd rather have him chime in on this thoughts about this.

sn47som

Quote from: yzf125 on January 26, 2015, 02:51:27 PM
That was one of the reasons I sold my 2box module the first time, It just made everything I transfered sound "Boxy"  The module definitely does something to the sounds that get transferred, I dont understand why this would happen.

The remedy to this boxy sound after copying samples to the module is to simply eq the samples with the onboard eq. Done