News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Fxpansion module announcement NAMM2015

Started by Murgen, January 19, 2015, 09:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

All over digitaldrummers facebook. Most important info for me: BFD VST compatibel only.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

digitalDrummer

Just to be clear: it's an NFUZD kit, with BFDeco samples. More details will be revealed at NAMM next week.

Murgen

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 19, 2015, 11:36:49 PM
Just to be clear: it's an NFUZD kit, with BFDeco samples. More details will be revealed at NAMM next week.

I was a bit brief in my post, I like the idea that another module with samples comes on the market. But I don't think it will beat the open character of 2Box. :)
--------

Jman

I'm heading to NAMM on Thursday, 1st stop NAMM breakfast  ;) but I'll head over to check out NFUZD after that and get as much info as I can. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on January 20, 2015, 09:36:22 PM
I'm heading to NAMM on Thursday, 1st stop NAMM breakfast  ;) but I'll head over to check out NFUZD after that and get as much info as I can. J

Looking forward to your report. :) Enjoy your breakfast first. And say hi to Bengt and ask him about his plans. Please.
--------

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on January 20, 2015, 09:48:10 PM
Looking forward to your report. :) Enjoy your breakfast first. And say hi to Bengt and ask him about his plans. Please.
Not sure if Bengt will be there or not, he emailed me last week about something else, in my reply I asked about NAMM, but never heard back... If he's there I'll track him down....

Jman

I'll get as many hard facts/stats as I can tomorrow at NAMM ....... then I will see if I am right about this.

This is my preliminary guess from the info trickling out so far.... While this will be of interest and there seems to be some excitement this will not be exciting for the 2Box users in general or those 2Box users who have delved into the potential of 2box's open sound source system. With 2Box I can build dsnds from virtually any VST and with up to 99 samples (or more with the 2Box Editor) per instrument articulation. And the stock onboard sounds are already very good and built with plenty of velocities in general.

With NFUZD they are talking about BFD Eco. Typically BFD Eco has upward/max of 24 samples per instrument with max of 48 for snare. Personally I wouldn't even bother building my 2Box dsnds from Eco. With 2Box our dsnds can be built using many more samples than that. So, I'm guessing we are looking at a more entry level type drum sample based system. Evidently if you have BFD3 you will be able to use the other BFD3 sounds or any of the sounds from BFD expansions, etc. that you can use in BFD3. But again, the limits/quality to/from the module will be of the Eco variety.

Granted, nice to have a simple import function directly through the module/software ....... but I'll still take my open sound source any day!

I still think this will have better quality drum sounds than Roland modules. Mainly because Roland modules use some very low resolution/quality samples to start with and allow you to play around with synthesizer effects ..... hence the reason some of us have migrated from that camp and just can't get off on that synthesized drum sound anymore.

Again, this is all just my speculation/guessing, but we'll know more tomorrow.

Murgen

The more I read the weirder it gets.

Create the import files on the PC, import them into the module via an USB-stick?? 512 mb on Namm, only 4 Gb flash on final model?

Youtube has a demo with the snare machine gunning? Quality of the pads is questioned?

If this is all true our 2Box design is still lightyears ahead of nfuzd.
--------

ANGR77

I can also just comment that I am amazed (not) that the new platform seems to have some real disadvantages...what have they done in the project during the last 4 years?

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on January 24, 2015, 10:01:22 AM
The more I read the weirder it gets.

Create the import files on the PC, import them into the module via an USB-stick?? 512 mb on Namm, only 4 Gb flash on final model?

Youtube has a demo with the snare machine gunning? Quality of the pads is questioned?

If this is all true our 2Box design is still lightyears ahead of nfuzd.
There was a lot of interest on this over at vdrums.com so I have posted quite a bit over there. This has an 8 sample limit per instrument zone. Quite a difference from us 2Boxers who have plenty of snares for example with 99 samples on head and 50 or so samples on rim!
And that 4GB talk is just that. The module has 512MB. I can't even tell you the last time I was thinking about buying a 512MB card! LOL

Jman

2Box Open Sound Source is not much liked IMO by the VST companies. It is just that "Open". The reasoning that is always mentioned is that they cannot Lock/License their products to our modules. Honestly I don't get it! Making it out like people are gonna rip em off for their software, when in truth the 2Box module has resulted in a great many sales of VST software these companies would have never gotten. I know for myself that is thousands. So, I buy the software, I use it on my "sampler"..... I am a software owner..... and it kind of pisses me off when they honestly don't appreciate the business! If the VST companies want to look at where their software is getting ripped off, it is pretty obvious when a new software is released and shortly after some of the torrent sites pop up on the web ......

So IMO, that was one of the motivators for this system. A system that can be locked to a VST company. You buy the module. You get the entry level software with it. You buy more software from them. Everybody is happy right?  ;) 

I do think they have some innovative ideas in the pads, and the module too. But for those of us that are already using the 2Box module, this can be looked at as something more entry level, and not a temptation in the least. I have owned my 2Box modules since 2010/2011 and I have never been more satisfied with any eDrum module. For me, I don't even see a close 2nd! ..... still 6 years later!

fulrmr

I don't see what all the fuss is about either. VST companies can already "lock" their software to your PC after purchase anyway....and you have to have a computer to use it. "Open source" module use is really no different than "open source" PC use.  ::) People are always figure out a way to steal whatever they want. I don't condone it...but it's a fact. Locking your hardware to one source is novel but it only tends to limit sales. So IMO they shot themselves in the foot and alienated most of the demographic of sales. Bad move since this "system" has everything to do with making money for BFD and nothing to do with the "advancement " of the edrum industry.

Murgen

Skot McDonald admitted the DRM issue justnow on FB: https://www.facebook.com/groups/digitaldrummer/

Skot McDonald: We were talking with all the various eDrum manufacturers for some years about how to do it so it worked for everyone - which includes our third party expansion pack providers for whom DRM (copy protection) is paramount. This is one of the reasons why w...See More
48 mins · Edited · Like
--------

digitalDrummer

Let's put this in perspective. It's a $750 module - half the price of the 2box. It is a sonic blank slate that allows you to choose from thousands of instrument sounds, add FX, etc.
What does the competition that sells for much, much more offer?  On the whole, a locked box with limited sounds. Even 2box can only be exploited properly with a third-party tool, a hardware hack and some experience.
And let's not forget that most buyers are not at all like the enthusiasts we have here or on the other FB groups and forums. They are punters who buy a kit, plug it in and play it. That's it.
Time will tell, but I can't see John Emrich, FXpansion and the development team putting their names to a second-rate offering.