News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Access the 2BOX SD card over USB

Started by ANGR77, December 23, 2014, 09:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

Hi!
Jman has previous put out a big fat warning to not access memory modified 2Box modules over USB - if you have larger SD sizes than 4GB!!!

I did patch my unit yesterday with a 32GB SD card - and I had to give it a go...What will actually happen if you reconnect the 2Box device over USB again. :-)

I tried it both on a Windows 10 based notebook and a MacBook Pro with Yosemite.

• Windows 10 - Will ask you if you want to reformat the disk? A pretty binear question! NO! There is no way in hell to be able to access the 2Box module over USB now. And when rebooting the unit - It will actually show up just as usual - and the filesystem on the SD card is completely untouched

• Macbook Pro - The disk can actually be accessed - it looks right...but looking on the information about the drive...it says that it contains about 1.8GB and that I have 1.8MB free space. (I had 3.7GB on the SD card) I am guesssing if starting to storing stuff on the drive now at this stage will probably blow the drive completely. So be causus! I did nothing...and rebooted my 2Box unit and could just see that the filesystem was untouched

After this, I was looking on the drivers on the Windows 10 PC. The 2Box USB driver is from 2006 - supplied by Microsoft. It is a Mass Storage Driver.

I am guessing that the boot loader in 2Box tells how big the disk can be at most...and a boot loader/Firmware change is required to be able to access larger memory cards directly over USB. (Could also be a internal issue in the 2Box unit...but already now it is internally read and write to SD cards larger than 4GB - so I would guess it is more of a USB firmware issue.

JMan - The Firmware 1.28 maybe contains more than support for just rubber pads? :-)

This could maybe be something to think of, 2Box? :-)

But JMan's cable patch will work perfectly also where you take out the the SD card and access it in the MAC/PC instead.

Any other thoughts?

Best Regards

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 23, 2014, 09:48:35 AM
Hi!
Jman has previous put out a big fat warning to not access memory modified 2Box modules over USB - if you have larger SD sizes than 4GB!!!

JMan - The Firmware 1.28 maybe contains more than support for just rubber pads? :-)

Angr77
It has been confirmed that OS 1.28 only adds the new Rubber Head trigger type choices, nothing more.

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

thecompetition

Dangerous to connect to mac / pc over usb with > 4 gb cards. I know at least the mac always writes some typical mac stuff (files starting with .)  whenever you connect a drive. Once a write has been done the card might have errors. Verify with the pc command line program chkdsk with the card directly in the pc.
And indeed, it's the boot program in the module which is 4 gb limited.

ANGR77

Thanks - I will verify my card again. (The Mac is doing stuff on all storage devices)

But the first look after having it connected (without have doing anything) looks like it works.

What do you guys at the forum believe there is for chance to get a change in the boot program from 2Box?

I would believe that this would help 2Box with their current module also. (Shipping an almost full 4GB card does not feel optimal if you have an open system and where you as a customer is encouraged to download more samples from their site - then the delete process starts...:-))

Merry X-mas everybody!

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com