News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Big problem! Hi hat sensor doesn't work anymore...

Started by nocturnodrummer, December 15, 2014, 10:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nocturnodrummer

Hello. I'm writing to you with some bad news... My hi hat sensing doesn't work. It's just open all the way up. When I open a HPED page to calibrate it, the diagram doesn't indicate any change when moving the magnet. I opened the box underneath the cymbal to take a look at the circuit board, and with a naked eye it all seems good. No cable is detached or path on the board broken... Guys, help! I have a gig to play on the New Year's Eve!  :-[ What steps can I take to even try to diagnose the problem? My brother has some experience with electronics like fixing radios and stuff so if you have any ideas where to look for the problem just let me know. I hope that the fault is not in the module...  :-[

Lustar

If nothing looks broken and there is no burnt smell coming from the HiHat or module it could just be a bad solder even if it's not visible to the naked eye, your brother may be able to fix it.

Here's a temporary solution in case of emergency, if you have to play a gig and can't calibrate. You can use DKit Manager to change the Hped calibration so that it's always closed.
- make a backup of your DrumIt.dkit file
- double click your DrumIt.dkit file, it will open DKit Manager
- Go to the last Unit tab
- change the Hped Calib values to 10000 1
- save
You won't be able to open the HiHat but at least you'll be able to use all of your kits without having to copy or modify them.
You can also duplicate your whole SD card to another card (make sure it's compatible with the module) and set the DrumIt.dkit to a different Hped level. This way you can have one card with the hats always closed, another with the hats slightly open, and you can switch the card depending on the song.

You can try the following values:
always closed: 10000 1
always open 1: 1 1
always open 2: 1 5
always open 3: 1 11
force the module to ask for calibration: 0 0

teletom007

Hello, I had the same problem.
The fault was with the electronics in the HiHat-PAD.
I have sent the hi-hat to 2Box and got it repaired.
Now I use Jman's solution. The hi-hat I take as reseve.
For the short solution, Do it like Lustar it describes.

tom

nocturnodrummer

Thanks for the answers guys. As always, Lustar's dedication is amazing, thanks :) Teletom7, do you know exactly which component failed? Was it the hall sensor? I would send it to 2box but taking into consideration the shipment time during christmas period it won't make it to New Year's Eve.

nocturnodrummer

I have almost manage to read the number on the hall sensor part. It looks like it's

or

In a thread about 2box hi hat controller I found that 2box used A1392 chip but mine seems different. I cant seem any information on my number chip. Anyway, do any of you guys know how to check if the hall sensor has failed? My dad has a top notch multimeter so is there a way?

Is that it?

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/A1392SEHLT-T/620-1032-2-ND/1006607
https://www.maritex.com.pl/en/shop/item/a1392/24918/35

I  found a shop in my country that has it in stock.

Looking at it closely it has some kind of stain like glue on top of it. Can it indicate some damge?

teletom007

hy,
I have  sent my pad to hyperactive. (http://www.hyperactive.de).
I get it again 3 days later. I guess it's the whole board was replaced.
Had to pay nothing.

tom from germany

ficamali

So...since im from Serbia i cant have it fixed here i have to send somewhere also...any recommendations on where to send it..? Adress pls..

nocturnodrummer

Well, do you have a warranty for the kit? If not.. Maybe hyperactive can help you, they are from Germany. Or the 2box themselves. Write them an email. I'm myself waiting for a solution. My distrubtor is waiting for a delivery from Germany with new 2box parts and they want to replace the whole cymbal. But 2box are sure that the replacement of only the circuit board will do the job. Maybe they can send you the board and you could solder or have someone solder it if your kit is not under a warranty.

ficamali

Ye I dont have warrnity...
I tryed to contact them but i dont have distributor in my country...can you write email adresses of hyperactive and 2 box "themselves", so i can write them..?

Thank you very much for helping out...:)

Jman

Just as a side note here. This would mainly apply to people that are using the 2Box Hi Hat and module but have changed over still using a kit from a different brand. The 2Box Hi Hat requires a TRS (stereo) cable. Some other edrum systems supply a TS (mono) cable for the HH control pedal. The 2Box Hi Hat if hooked up with a TS cable will not calibrate ..... exactly like described in this thread.

As an example some Alesis drum kits ship with a TS cable for Hi Hat and that will not work. I ran into this just recently when a customer that purchased my own Stealth 2Box control box solution hooked it up with the cable he was using with his Alesis Realhat control pedal. Turns out it was a TS cable and could not calibrate. As soon as he changed to a TRS cable ...... whoalla!

So, just to eliminate all possibilities before repairing/replacing the 2Box HH cymbal be sure to test it by swapping out the Hi Hat cable you are currently using with another TRS cable that is known to be working. It only takes a minute and always good to be sure. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/