News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

USB port can be used for midi

Started by ANGR77, December 13, 2014, 11:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANGR77

Hi!

I am rather new to this forum - I have been around for a while and have been doing some e-drumming, DIY etc..I have just for fun bought a 2BOX module to compare with what I am currently using.

After have been updating the OS on the 2BOX module and carefully been reading the manual...I just realized that the USB port is not able to send any midi. The USB port is only used for storing files, OS etc. This has also been confirmed in other threads. But as a new user of 2BOX - What is really this?

Of course - using an external midi interface is not a problem ...but I would argument that this is great drawback in functionality and even poor design. I would have expected more...

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Soundmanneal

Just buy a USB to midi cable and your good to go ,

works great for me.  8)

digitalDrummer

HI Anders, Welcome to the orange side.
I think you'll find this is the first of few surprises!
Allan

ANGR77

Thanks Allan.

My orange journey is more for test purposes - got it for a bargin and I thought I am a Swedish guy and I must support the local initiatives! (Think outside the box)...but you are right the box includes more frustration, which I really wonder what they was up to when designing the module.

But...I have to say it triggers very good. I wonder how they do it - connect what ever in terms of triggers/e-pads and it works just great with the default settings...and then it sounds great also!

So - maybe I should not be too hard...

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Lustar

If you like things to be "outside the box" you will love the external SD card mod ;D :drum1:

hemiboy

I use the 2 box with the stock sounds, which are awesome, and with vst's and  I love it. Got to admit, I never tried anything but stock roland kits. So I dont know how vexpressions or vst's  would have sounded on a  Roland module   

DocBrown

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 13, 2014, 11:32:59 PM
but I would argument that this is great drawback in functionality and even poor design. I would have expected more...

ANGR77

Yes, me too. Check out card mod, that's crazy

hemiboy

Yeah, Doc, I have the card  mod, too. Awesome!

digitalDrummer

Quote from: hemiboy on December 18, 2014, 01:41:46 PM
Yeah, Doc, I have the card  mod, too. Awesome!
I think Doc is saying it's crazy that users have to open the module and add an extender to access the power of the system.
My biggest  issue with the design is tha wasted real estate for the trigger audition buttons that no-one uses.

hemiboy

Yeah maybe that will change on the next generation. 2 box
Allan, What are you playing ,mostly, these days, 2 box, or td 30

DocBrown

Quote from: digitalDrummer on December 18, 2014, 11:56:04 PM
I think Doc is saying it's crazy that users have to open the module and add an extender to access the power of the system.

Yeah, that was the point

fulrmr

Quote from: DocBrown on December 19, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
Yeah, that was the point

Sometimes you have to start small because of budget and availability and build into the "wishlist" of the user as popularity and success of a new product grows. ;) However, then the build cost and price point will also increase. Frankly I don't think we need expensive products that come with all the bells and whistles from the "get go" that look good on paper but become useless in application (read Rolandesque) Just do the mod. It's inexpensive and simple and if it were factory installed it would probly bump the price point up hundreds of dollars instead of tens of dollars at our end. ::) Just my 2 cents on this. :)

ANGR77

I am going to do the mod...:-) fulrmr...you are using Quartz on harness....have you posted your settings somewhere? Are you using the actr 1-3?

Best Regards

Angr77

edtc

Quote from: digitalDrummer on December 18, 2014, 11:56:04 PM

My biggest  issue with the design is tha wasted real estate for the trigger audition buttons that no-one uses.

they are usefull to select which pad or rim you are editing ... no?

DocBrown

Quote from: fulrmr on December 19, 2014, 05:06:04 PM
Sometimes you have to start small because of budget and availability and build into the "wishlist" of the user as popularity and success of a new product grows. ;) However, then the build cost and price point will also increase. Frankly I don't think we need expensive products that come with all the bells and whistles from the "get go" that look good on paper but become useless in application (read Rolandesque) Just do the mod. It's inexpensive and simple and if it were factory installed it would probly bump the price point up hundreds of dollars instead of tens of dollars at our end. ::) Just my 2 cents on this. :)

Well, in this case I don't agree. If SD card was removable with a slot for it, I don't think it has to be a bigger cost in engineering or production, specially if you see where card is located.

Ok, mod is cheap and easy, but you lose warranty once you open the module. I didn't care when I did it because I got it used, but it's a big problem for new purchases.