News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Mac or PC?

Started by analoguekid, December 02, 2014, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

analoguekid

I want to get a laptop...I would use it to maintain and tweak 2box sounds, and run a couple VST in Cubase or ACID (which I already own) and know quite well...I don't ever intend to use it as a live interface to trigger VST sounds in real time, or as a high powered DAW.
MAC or PC...GO!

fulrmr

Oh good lord this will open a can of worms I'm sure. ::) hehehehe...oh well. Just remember that Lustar's awesome software does not run on a Mac unless you use a virtual machine...and I've heard it's not optimal. Now on a Windows box...it performs spectacularly. ;)

Personally I would love to have a Mac, In fact I have an iPhone5 and just bought an iPad Air to run some other gear(that will soon be on it's way) but Mac gear is way too high priced. I think my next purchase will be a Surface Pro  to house all my samples and tweaking software. That way I can just mount both the iPad and Surface to my rack for easy access.

Murgen

Quote from: fulrmr on December 03, 2014, 05:09:00 AM
Oh good lord this will open a can of worms I'm sure. ::) hehehehe...oh well. Just remember that Lustar's awesome software does not run on a Mac unless you use a virtual machine...and I've heard it's not optimal. Now on a Windows box...it performs spectacularly. ;)

Personally I would love to have a Mac, In fact I have an iPhone5 and just bought an iPad Air to run some other gear(that will soon be on it's way) but Mac gear is way too high priced. I think my next purchase will be a Surface Pro  to house all my samples and tweaking software. That way I can just mount both the iPad and Surface to my rack for easy access.

Heya Fulrmr, I just bought a Mac Mini to replace an overaged PC, full Mac for less dollars.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

DocBrown

Whatever you feel more comfortable. There's a stupid war between Win/PC - Mac fanboys. I have Macs and PCs (Linux powered). I don't use Windows just because of license prices, but if I had to buy a Windows powered laptop should be ok too.

What I don't recommend you is to use Linux for music software, it's a pain to set-up and configure everything ok. You can buy good Windows laptops for the price. Think about cheapest Mac laptops are around 1000 â,¬/$

fishmonkey

Quote from: fulrmr on December 03, 2014, 05:09:00 AM
Just remember that Lustar's awesome software does not run on a Mac unless you use a virtual machine...and I've heard it's not optimal. Now on a Windows box...it performs spectacularly. ;)

there's no problem using SDSE in a virtual machine, and actually using a virtual machine has the advantage that you can continue to use the computer while SDSE is working in the background (SDSE takes over control of the Windows interface).

you can also install Windows to run natively on a Mac. in fact you can install it natively and also run the same installation in a virtual machine as well...

Murgen

I used to built my own windows machines. Since 2010 into Apple. Why? Because there is truth in the saying that if you want excellent software you must do the hardware too.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fishmonkey on December 07, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
there's no problem using SDSE in a virtual machine, and actually using a virtual machine has the advantage that you can continue to use the computer while SDSE is working in the background (SDSE takes over control of the Windows interface).
There is an issue when you have to install Win version of Reaper and all your VSTs!!!