News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Mk1 questions

Started by InTheBox, November 12, 2014, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InTheBox

Hello forum. New user here :D

I'm in the process of buying a second hand, barely used Mk1 kit. I've been reading up a lot about the pros and cons of the Mk1, but the price was fairly good.

I have a few questions about the Mk1 rack.
I've read that it's considered a bit unstable and flimsy. Can anyone with a bit of experience elaborate a bit about where the weakness lies? To me the biggest "fault" seems to be the kick pad being mounted on the rack. I imagine that every hit on the kick will transfer a lot of forward motion and vibration into the rack, making it wobble and jump around.

The module is already upgraded, and my plan is to use a separate snare stand and hihat stand. I also want to convert the kick pad to mk2 specs.

Has anyone ever done a standalone mod of the kick pad? It seems to me the most sensible  thing to do. After all, most high end e-kits come with a separate kick unit.

Cheers

edtc

InTheBox

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of kick mods.

I'm thinking about doing a kick modification that involves mounting the pad onto a shell and adding bass drum legs.

I guess it would look a bit like the v-20/30 kick.

Well, it'll have to wait until I get the actual kit and can do some measuring.

edtc

another way could be to make an e-kick conversion using a cheap small second hand bass drum , , and use your mk1 kick as an extra floor tom .... :)

for exemple , i made one based on a 20"X 8" pearl rythm traveller , some MDF wood , L-bars , some foam , a mesh head and a piezo  .... i previously did one with half a 12" tom , and a Pearl Jungle Gig JG-16 ... there are many options ...

InTheBox

Yes, I thought about doing that, but the kit I'm getting already has 4 toms (and 3 cymbals) so I guess the module inputs are mostly full as it is.

I also want to keep the 2box appearance of the kick. Something that "could have" been factory made.

I know that the head size of the kick is 14", does anyone know what the actual outer circumference of the kick pad is? 15-16 inches? For now I only have pictures to go by.   

wildhorse5678

I bought a second hand 2box with Mk1 rack and found that the 4 upright legs were very thin and so the whole unit felt unstable.  I first experimented with round tubes and conectors from a Roland Rack .. And you csn buy these very cheap on ebay... And this solved the stability issue. I did consider using Roland rack with 2box pads etc but really liked the look of the M11 rack so i bought a Mk11 rack from the UK distribitor and the kit is looking and plsying great. One modification i have kept is that i have used roland parts to add a rack extention for the snare .. And i use the M1 T-shaped snare holder with it rather than a snare stand. I plan to gig with the kit and doing this enables me to fold the rack to carry rather than use a separate stand.  I had to buy a Roland v drum rack carry bag from USA to facilitate this, because i dont want to spend valuable drinking time at gigs setting up and breaking down the rack.
I have not yet had problems with the pedals ... In fact i like the lick pedal because of its light weight and found it very reponsive .  I will report on how i get on gigging with the kit.