News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat and alternatives

Started by nicog, August 17, 2014, 12:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicog

Hello guys, this is my first post here.
Im planing to buy a 2box module.
My only dubts are about the hihat.

* Can someone explain me how it works? I mean, is it only the pad? or is it also a foot controller like alesis ie.

I live in Argentina and we dont have a retailer here. So, Im taking the opportunity in next month Im travelling to usa and would like to buy it there.
The thing is, I cannot carry with the entire kit, so my plan is to buy only the module. But, I have to make sure which HH controller/pads can be used.

For the moment I have my own diy cymbals with an alesis realhat pedal.
* Im also assuming any electronic pad would work for the drums.

* I found the module on amazon, but cant find the 2box hihat.

I would be nice if you guys can tell me which options are around.

I really appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Murgen

Original hihat has a magnetic sensor in it's shaft and comes with a lose cilinder shaped magnet which fits on any standard hihat standard. By using the pedal the magnet stays in place and the hihat sensor measures the changes and translates the difference in a signal corresponding with the right sound. The sensor can identify several different positions and most hihat samples have 4-8 sounds for that.

This is on top of my head. The principle is brilliant, no parts that can wear out and a hihat that moves like a real one. But for some of us it is very hard to get it fully tweaked (I had occasional misfires which I could not explain or solve).

Check the posts om the forum for alternatives, esp. JMan and Manfred did a lot of R&D for this. I replaced mine for GEN16 cymbals and never looked back.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

I'll also add that the hats will function much better and can be dialed in better if you have a quality HH stand with a nice adjustable spring. That said...if you do not like the "feel" of the 2Box rubber pad...Jman sells a "controller box" that you can mount to any HH stand foot plate and will allow you to use any 2z cymbal pad of your choice. This is what I did and it works great. I have done this with several different types of cymbals including regular acoustic conversions along with 3rd party "rubber" offerings.

Now as has been said...Gen16's are an option but they are not triggers and will not trigger 2Box samples...they are "real" HH's with acoustic tones that you can tweak with their own proprietary module . Jman also sells trigger kits which can be installed on these for triggering the 2Box hat and cymbal samples. I have these also and they too work great.

Point blank...2Box is the best sounding platform for the money on the market today that also is very compatible with most 3rd party options and accessories...with the hats being the only thing that really needs special attention to dial in properly for optimal playing experience. Once dialed though....they play superbly.

Have fun! :)

nicog

Thanks guys.. So if wanted to buy the module and the hats. Should I also order the sensor or is it comming with HH pad?

Murgen

It is all-in. You get a kick pedal, snare standard and hihat stand included.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: nicog on August 17, 2014, 06:42:26 PM
Thanks guys.. So if wanted to buy the module and the hats. Should I also order the sensor or is it comming with HH pad?

If you are buying the stuff individually(i.e. not the whole kit) The HH pad has the sensor built in as has been said. However, If you have a 2z cymbal pad that you already like and use (i.e. Yamaha PCY?? or Roland CY?? etc.) and you want to save some cash....you can buy the Control Box from Jman and attach it to your current HH stand.

nicog

Rialas

Alternatively get some real hi-hats. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache.
Love the kit, but all the YouTube videos I've seen, there are some great drummers, yet the timing of the hi-hats are always suspect to me and I'm not even a drummer.

teletom007

hy,

I use an old Yamaha HiHat stand. With the 2Box pad the function was ok but not good. The open-close function was not like a real hi-hat.
Now I have the "Stealth 2Box HH stood controller / conversion kit" by Jman. It is only the open-close sensor, it is positioned under the pedal. As Triggerpad I use a Alesis hihat pad (cheap version). but I wouldn't recommend it, there must be better pads.
Now, the open-close function is much better than using the "2Box magnetic sensor. It is faster and more accurate.
I could also use the 2Box pad, but I keep in reserve for live gig.

tom