Roland PD-120 snare - rim hits also triggering main sound. Any suggestions?

Started by peanutismint, October 31, 2014, 11:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

I have a Roland PD-120 snare but when I hit the rim any harder than an extremely soft tap it also triggers the main trigger sound from the mesh head....  I've tried changing X-talk settings on the snare and also messing with the trigger level and all sorts of other settings but nothing seems to fix it... Is this due to the way the 2Box interprets my snare? It never used to happen on my TD-8 where the head and rim hits were always completely separate...

Any ideas??

edtc

looks like a wiring problem ... maybe both piezo are connected to the head input ...

peanutismint

I doubt it, as I mentioned the rim/head sounds were always completely separate using the same drum on my Roland TD-8...

I have noticed that on certain 'patches' of the 2Box module the effect is slightly less pronounced... Is there a way to edit at what velocities certain samples are played on each input??

Lustar

Did you try changing the Rim settings? If you press More on the module (keep it pressed) and press the Snare button you can edit the Rim settings for that pad. It also works for toms. You could try increasing the threshold for the Rim.

peanutismint

Hey man, yeah I've tried the rim settings, thanks. First I had the snare X-talk on high and the rim on 'off', but I might've had that mixed up in my brain... So I swapped that around, but still the same issue...

Like I said, it seems to be slightly better on certain kits, but even then it's still a mix of both unless i play REEEAALLY quietly.... I'm wondering if it's to do with the centre-cone trigger on the snare? I've heard people say it's better to use a piezo mounted off to one side of the drum....??

I actually have a spare mesh head (the original Roland one - this one is a Hart Dynamics mesh head) so I could theoretically add a piezo to the other head and mount that, and then somehow combine the two trigger outputs (one for the head, one for the rim...)

fulrmr

Crosstalk should have nothing to do with this. I would put the original head back on and try adjusting the rim threshold again......just to see if the 2ply head makes a difference.

mrallgood101

Was u ever able to get that PD-120 to work with the 2box module - and sound just as good as if it was a roland module?

peanutismint

I swapped the head and I don't know if it made much difference, but I have found that different kits seem to be more or less susceptible to the problem... Maybe I just need to go through them all and assign a proper 'cross stick' sample to the ring, rather than a 'rim' sample...

As a snare trigger, tho, the PD-120 sounds awesome.

mrallgood101

Ok, cool! Peanutismint, you are defintiely addressing my biggest concern...which is... my Roland pads working flawlessly with a 2Box module  WITHOUT me having to do any DIY type of stuff.

So your Roland PD-120 pads are all working great with the 2box module? Or is it working great with some kits - and not so good with other kits?

peanutismint

The snare sounds great with everything. My only issues now (having bought a 2Box Hi Hat) is getting my 2-zone Roland cymbal to work properly, and also just tweaking the whole kit a little bit. But yeah, for the most part, Roland stuff seems fine! Maybe not 100% (or as good as a 2Box kit might work) but it definitely works, and it probably feels/plays better than the 2Box stuff would (from what I've heard...)

mrallgood101

uh-oh...wait a minute... I always had a feeling that getting the roland hi hat to work with the 2box module might be problematic. That's why I'm going with the acoustic hi hat for now. But when you say your still having a little problem tweaking the whole kit to work with the 2box module....now THAT  kinda concerns me!

peanutismint

Well no.... firstly, Roland hi hat won't work with the 2Box module...hence me buying a 2Box one. Also, there's always going to be 'tweaking' required to get a new kit set up. It all works but I'm just wanting to make the best of the settings.

fulrmr

Quote from: mrallgood101 on November 08, 2014, 12:52:42 AM
uh-oh...wait a minute... I always had a feeling that getting the roland hi hat to work with the 2box module might be problematic. That's why I'm going with the acoustic hi hat for now. But when you say your still having a little problem tweaking the whole kit to work with the 2box module....now THAT  kinda concerns me!

When it comes to dialing in ANY module for optimal play, there will ALWAYS be tweaking. Especially when tweaking to your individual playing style and even more so with ANY 3rd party pads. Even with stock pads, most modules are not set up for "optimal" playability.

As for the 2Box HH, most any 2z will work just fine(including the Roland since you already have them) using the control box mod of Jman's and a really good HH stand with adjustable spring.....but as said...you'll still have to spend the time tweaking no matter what. No need to stress over ANY of this. :)

peanutismint

True!

While we're on the subject - I'm finding my hi hat (an official 2Box on a Gibraltar stand) is making a lot of unexpected 'noises'... Like it's difficult to get it to 'chik' without lots of weird missed-notes triggering... IS this a common problem? I've messed with threshold/sensitivity settings etc... still there...!