News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Gonna use 2Box & Roland...Good idea?

Started by mrallgood101, October 26, 2014, 04:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrallgood101

To Fulrmr... Thank you for the advice you gave to "wildhorse5678" in another section/topic, because you helped me as well. I think I'm gonna purchase 2 sound modules... The 2Box and a Roland. My problem is that i don't know which Roland module yet.

ROLAND MODULES... I like the TD-12 ($500 plus dollars on ebay) for the electronic drum sounds, EQ controls hi hat and cymbals (believe it or not lol) and positional sensing. If the TD-11 ($429 on Zzounds.com) had positional sensing, I would get that to accompany the 2box for those same functions. As of now I use an acoustic hi-hat (Sabian).

STEALTH - I defintiely plan on purchasing some of Jman's stuff to help bring it all together. For example, the 32gb extender for the 2Box is a MUST HAVE!... Also his 3-zone ride Cymbal, because i want the feel on the traditional acoustic cymbal. and a couple more things...  (Shout out to Jman).

2BOX MODULE.... I love the 2Box for ALL the obvious reasons! I demo'd it for almost 2 hours at Sam Ash (NY, 34th st). One of the main reasons for me is that when I do gigs, playing sampled sounds are A MUST!! With the 2Box, I will have NO reason to use the SPD-SX and try to trigger it with the kick and snare, etc, etc. The 2Box eliminates ALL that. Plus I also play "Live to track" for several old school legendary artists that used drum machines on on most of their hit records in the 80's and 90's. So I think that I need both-modules with the Y jack situation that fulrmr spoke of. 

Which Roland module do you think I should get to accompany the 2Box... the TD-11 or TD-12? Or do you guys think having both modules even make sense? You can be brutally honest...I'm not a sensitive-type dude  :patbat2box:

fulrmr

Your welcome. :)

I'm really not sure you need to add a Roland module to your setup since you don't already have one. If you do the card mod to add the storage space there are VSTs out there that emulate the sweet samples of that particular era's electronic sounds. i.e. Toontrak Electronic EZX

IMO this would probly give you a better playing experience rather than going through all the hassle of running splitters and and cables all over the place. Just my 2 cents. :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EZXElectro?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=Bing_PLA_All_Products

mrallgood101

Thanks fulrmr! I'm gonna definitely look into that link you sent me.

hemiboy

Do superior drummer, addictive drums, and bfd 2 and sound the same thru roland and 2 box module

Jman

Quote from: fulrmr on October 26, 2014, 05:35:09 PM
Your welcome. :)

I'm really not sure you need to add a Roland module to your setup since you don't already have one. If you do the card mod to add the storage space there are VSTs out there that emulate the sweet samples of that particular era's electronic sounds. i.e. Toontrak Electronic EZX

IMO this would probly give you a better playing experience rather than going through all the hassle of running splitters and and cables all over the place. Just my 2 cents. :)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EZXElectro?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=Bing_PLA_All_Products

Besides the EZX electronic pack there is also an Addictive Drums pack called Reel Machines:
http://www.xlnaudio.com/products/adpak/reel_machines
But the 2Box Drumit Five module already has a pretty extensive collection of classic electronic sounds including CR78, 808, 909, and more, as well as new Synth sounds, Streapler samples, etc. available for download from the 2Box website.  http://www.2box.se/US/pages/sample-library/

That's the beauty of the 2Box Drumit Five, since it is an open sound source system you are not limited to the included sounds.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

mechanevil

Is positional sensing all it's cracked up to be? I noticed that it's no longer a feature on the newer Roland drum modules. Any reason for this?

Also, a crazy question on a forum like this, but hoping for objective answers... Would I be better buying something like a used Roland TD-20 for this feature over the 2Box? Why or why not?

One more question: I noticed in a video by Alex Rudinger that 2Box is coming out with a new product? Any idea if it's a new module, or is that unlikely? Would hate to buy the current version only to have it superseded by the next big thing...

fulrmr

Quote from: mechanevil on October 28, 2014, 10:57:25 AM
Is positional sensing all it's cracked up to be? I noticed that it's no longer a feature on the newer Roland drum modules. Any reason for this?

Also, a crazy question on a forum like this, but hoping for objective answers... Would I be better buying something like a used Roland TD-20 for this feature over the 2Box? Why or why not?

One more question: I noticed in a video by Alex Rudinger that 2Box is coming out with a new product? Any idea if it's a new module, or is that unlikely? Would hate to buy the current version only to have it superseded by the next big thing...

IMO ...no. but some folks like it. Also on Roland's new generation modules PS is only available on the TD-30.

Speculation is that the "new" product is going to a line of external triggers for application with "Hybrid kits".

wildhorse5678

I ALSO wanted to feature Electronic drum sounds not just the ones mentioned already available on the 2Box so went on ebay and bought a whole series of WAV files (1000's)  from dozens of different electronic kits from a private seller which cost me just 99pence UK .. about 50cents . (He did it by sharing his folders via Dropbox) 

After deciding which I wanted to use it was then a simple process of drag and dropping the sounds to the Drumit module using the SOUNDS feature of the Drum Editor. 

I also discovered that the WAV files were much smaller in size and took up much less memory than the Drumit acoustic files.  So you can pack a lot more electro kits onto the Drumit 5 unit if you remove just a few accoustic kits sounds that you are never likely to use.... I took off all the indian and world music sounds as I'm never going to use these  and to me they were a poor use of space.

I have published some videos which actually demonstate me converting some WAV files of Alesis DM5 kit to the Drumit system and adding them to kits .  see  http://www.2boxfornwbies.weebly.com

teletom007

hello,
sorry but it hurts me in my soul. :'( I see what you're doing with the wavfile. The great advantage of 2box are multilayer sounds, very close to the reality. If you go this way, you get a Mickey Mouse drum set. :) ;)

greetings from germany