News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSND files from Addictive Drums

Started by Louis, May 23, 2012, 09:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krillo

Quote from: fishmonkey on May 19, 2013, 10:22:30 AM
as i said i don't have any AD stuff, but again i really doubt that is the case.

AD uses their own proprietary sample format, with some kind of data compression and a variable bit-depth scheme. what are you doing to work out how many samples there are?

Please see the link to the other thread that I put earlier in this thread. I do the same procedure as digitaldrummer describes in his tutorial. I then put each of the 127 hits on its own channel. Mute all exept No.1 and No.2, phase invert No2, move the sample until it completely cancels out No.1. If it does, they are the same. Continue w. 1 and 3, then 1 and 4 etc. All samples should be normalized.

fishmonkey

Quote from: Krillo on May 19, 2013, 09:29:40 AM
The top 8 layers have a different EQ but all 127 velocity layers are the same sample.

call me a skeptic, but maybe there is something wrong with your testing methodology.

for starters very few multisampled instruments of any kind have 127 layers anyway, so 127 MIDI velocities is not the same thing as 127 layers.

and how on earth can you conclude from a phase cancellation test that the top 8 layers are the same sample with different EQ applied?

if you create a MIDI file with the same note and velocity played 20 times in a row, do you get the same sample each time? are you sure your AD settings aren't messed up somehow?

fishmonkey

mate, i'm not shooting the messenger, i just don't believe that AD would have the exact same sample for every kit piece, when there should be 12-16 depending on the kit. if what you are saying is correct then the entire standard AD package should only be tiny. your assertion implies that they are padding their gigabytes of samples with copies of the same sample, or just useless dummy data. it just doesn't add up.

i haven't seen your setup, or your testing methodology, so given the above, my scientific mind is skeptical.

and you didn't answer my other question: how can you tell from a phase cancellation test that some layers only have EQ applied to the same sample? that statement introduces more doubt into my mind, since it actually isn't possible to do so, unless you know exactly what EQ algorithm and parameters were applied in the first place, and can then apply the reverse EQ to the sample.

don't take it personally, i am genuinely curious as to why you are seeing what you are seeing. there are a lot of unknowns from this end though.

fishmonkey

right, i just downloaded the AD user manual. one of the sampler settings is this:

“Single Sample” mode
Makes AD play only one single sample across the entire velocity range, and uses no alternating samples. Gives you that ”old-skool kool” drum machine feel!

have you got that turned on???

fishmonkey

fishmonkey

logihack

i have ad1 with retro, funk and reel machines adpaks and i also have ad2 with pop, heavy united and fairfax1 adpaks. All new samples are deeper sounding while ad1 sound is thin compared with ad2.
At that time i realy liked funk, but now, not much. Is there any difference with older adpaks if played in ad2 engine?

logihack

Nobody uses AD1 and also AD2?
I guess i wasnt clear enough. :)
I have ad packs for ad1(retro, funk, reel machines) and SDSE samples, sounds very dull, flat, thin, compared to newer adpacks for ad2(pop, heavy united, fairfax...)
Those ad1 adpaks are also available for new engine, but must buy them again.
Is sound quality of those adpaks the same?
funk ad1 vs funk ad2? What is the difference?

ANGR77

Hi!

I am an old AD1 and AD2 user ... but it was a long time since I used the AD1 version. I am pretty sure that all purchased ADpaks for AD1 automatically was converted to AD2 without any extra cost - sure about this?

I would say that the AD1 and AD2 is quite similar in terms of sound...(but I don't recall all features from my beta session of AD2.)

The newer released packs sounds better...like Fairfax etc.

Best regards

Anders /www.Zourman.com

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

logihack

im sure that i dont have funk, retro and reel machines in ad2 library, but must have also ad1 engine to use them. Or am i missing something?

ANGR77

Do you have the AD1 ADpaks registrated at XLN?

If running the XLN installer (cloud based) ... with your account I am quite sure you will see one section with the AD1 packs and one section with AD2 packs. In my case - all bought packs shows up twice...below the AD2 section and then also below the AD1 section. (I own all ADPaks :-) so all packs are shown twice )

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

logihack

of course i have all products registered. In xln installer in AD2 section i can see just ad2 adpaks. For ad1 adpaks i was forced to install also ad1 engine, so i can see retro, funk and reeel machines, just in ad1 section in xln instaler.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Can-I-Use-Addictive-Drums-1-Ad-Packs-with-AD2-m3194770.aspx