News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

32gb upgrade.- whats this all about?

Started by wildhorse5678, September 30, 2014, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhorse5678

Ive read in various posts about a 32gb upgrade refering to a memory card??  I cant see any placed for a memory card on my module so whats thsi all about???

Jman

Quote from: wildhorse5678 on September 30, 2014, 10:10:37 PM
Ive read in various posts about a 32gb upgrade refering to a memory card??  I cant see any placed for a memory card on my module so whats thsi all about???
It is a mod many have done to their modules "At Own Risk". Detailed in this DIY thread:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=991.0
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fulrmr

It's a very simple process takes a matter of 15 minutes. If you can turn a few screws and plug in a card....you can do this. ;)

Jman

Quote from: fulrmr on October 01, 2014, 05:39:27 PM
It's a very simple process takes a matter of 15 minutes. If you can turn a few screws and plug in a card....you can do this. ;)
Yes, it is pretty simple to do. This is the best improvement I've done for my modules. I actually did the mod the first day on both the modules I bought. Add in SDSE and some VST sounds and you've got a "Super" module. As you well know Dan ... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

wildhorse5678

Thanks for the replies ... there is so much stuff on this forum its hard to know where to look. 

Ive now read the 'upgrade' and its not for me.  I have enough difficulty plugging in a jack to the sockets I wouldnt be allowed out with a screwdriver.   I can't understand why 2box didnt design the system to work with  a bigger SD card and an external slot for an SD card ... like my Alesis Sample Pad. (at a fraction of the price)

I am also using a Roland TD6 with 100 built in kits .. most of which have much more interesting sounds than the 2box.  I got the 2Box because I liked the accoustic sounds on their youtube and especially cymbal sounds but to be honest now Ive heard them all I dont particularly like any the way they - the sare drums sound as its in the next room and the sound are not loud enough for my taste.  So  I will have to tweek them  to make them drier and I also find them much of a muchness.  Also I wanted to be able to add my 12 favourite Roland kits  o the 2Box brain by sampling and recreating them in 2Box.

But reading between the lines it seems I will need to remove a whole bunch of the 2Box 100 kits from te 4GB card before I can add any 'new' kits, if I stick with 4GB card and dont change to 32 gb.   Is this right guys?

fulrmr

Quote from: wildhorse5678 on October 01, 2014, 07:12:44 PM
Thanks for the replies ... there is so much stuff on this forum its hard to know where to look. 

Ive now read the 'upgrade' and its not for me.  I have enough difficulty plugging in a jack to the sockets I wouldnt be allowed out with a screwdriver.   I can't understand why 2box didnt design the system to work with  a bigger SD card and an external slot for an SD card ... like my Alesis Sample Pad. (at a fraction of the price)

I am also using a Roland TD6 with 100 built in kits .. most of which have much more interesting sounds than the 2box.  I got the 2Box because I liked the accoustic sounds on their youtube and especially cymbal sounds but to be honest now Ive heard them all I dont particularly like any the way they - the sare drums sound as its in the next room and the sound are not loud enough for my taste.  So  I will have to tweek them  to make them drier and I also find them much of a muchness.  Also I wanted to be able to add my 12 favourite Roland kits  o the 2Box brain by sampling and recreating them in 2Box.

But reading between the lines it seems I will need to remove a whole bunch of the 2Box 100 kits from te 4GB card before I can add any 'new' kits, if I stick with 4GB card and dont change to 32 gb.   Is this right guys?
If you want the deep layered samples that the popular VSTs on the market offer then you will have to provide more space. However you can wipe the 4g card and save a back up(always save a back up) and then convert your samples with less layers to save space. This IMHO is a bit counterproductive as to the nature of these superb sounding samples but it is very acceptable if that's the route you would like to pursue. Frankly sampling the Roland on your own will probly take up less space than you might think as they really won't have very many layers and will be more like a one shot sound and will have the traditional Roland "machine gunning" characteristics...which again IMHO..is counterproductive to the 2Box's strongest characteristics of being able to reproduce VSTs in all their glory without the hassle of all the extra hardware. I would just use both modules(using a "Y" splitter at the pad running cables to both modules or a mixer) if the sounds on the TD-6 are pleasing to you and then add all the "extra" things I wanted and needed to the 2Box to take advantage of what it does best rather than "sampling" the tones of the 6 at all. Blending both module sounds may very well get you where you want to be. So the answer to your question is...yes...you need to do the mod.  I had never attempted such a mod ever before either and stressed over it for months only to kick myself in the @$$ when I finally decided to dive in and realized exactly how simple it really was and all the time I wasted stressing over it. ;)

mrallgood101

Thank you for the advice you gave to "wildhorse5678" ... it helped me as well. I'm gonna post a topic abuot this...needing you guys help.

Thanks again.