News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

No 24-bit sound format at all?

Started by Bitdepth, October 09, 2014, 03:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitdepth

Hן everyone.
I bought the 2BOX module because I was sure that the sound you can get from it is a real 24 bit sound depth (as you can easily understand from the statements on the company website)
But when I convert a 24-bit sound format to .DSND (2box sound formt) the result is always a 16-bit file!
Is there any possibility to get a real 24-bit sound from this module?
Or there is deliberate deception here?

puttenvr

QuoteThe DrumIt Five sounds are delivered at 44100 Hz by 24 bit digital-to-analog converters

So perhaps the sounds are stored on 16 bit and afterwards converted to the outputs on 24 bit

Jman

yeah, edtc, posted about that in a thread a couple years back too .... this was the gist:

Quote from: Manfred on January 24, 2012, 10:04:55 AM

Hi,

As far as i know the 2Box sounds are 44.1kHz but with 24bit. By the way, the 2Box editor is now also capable to create multizone sounds.

Regards, Manfred

Quote from: edtc on January 24, 2012,
the  bit depth for the drumit is 24bit ( mixing , effects , output audio conversion ....) but i m quite sure i read somewhere the samples are 16 bit ....

.... to be confirmed by Deve

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Bitdepth

QuoteSo perhaps the sounds are stored on 16 bit and afterwards converted to the outputs on 24 bit

I do not see the point in it.
16bit sound even if you convert it to 24bit will sound not better from the source.

If, for example, you take (or make) a sound recording of 8bit, 8Khz, and then convert it to 24bit 96KHZ, will sound exactly the same as the originals (8bit, 8Khz) and not slightly better.

By the way, 2Box .dsnd files can be easily opened with 'SOUND FORGE' sound editor'
and are visible as 16 and not 24bit.

fishmonkey

Quote from: Bitdepth on October 12, 2014, 09:49:40 AM
I do not see the point in it.
16bit sound even if you convert it to 24bit will sound not better from the source.

If, for example, you take (or make) a sound recording of 8bit, 8Khz, and then convert it to 24bit 96KHZ, will sound exactly the same as the originals (8bit, 8Khz) and not slightly better.

By the way, 2Box .dsnd files can be easily opened with 'SOUND FORGE' sound editor'
and are visible as 16 and not 24bit.

it will make a difference if internal audio processing in the module is done in 24 bit, even if the samples themselves are only 16 bit...

Bitdepth

I sent to the company an email already three weeks ago with the issue I raised here.
Today I received a reply from them:

"Dear ..... ,

thanks for your patience.
After checking with our developers and sound designers I do have the following information for you.
Playing our sound format with another player will not be accurate. Our propriety sound format handles 24 bit and is optimized to our playback engine. Without going into details the playback of the samples will always be in a 24 bit format in the DrumIt Five module.

I hope this will meet your expectations.
But again, thanks for the hint, we will clarify description accordingly.

Best regards!"

fulrmr