News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Piezo positioning

Started by nicog, October 04, 2014, 05:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicog

Hi guys, what is the 'best' position for a piezo, or which would you recommend for a drum conversion (double mesh heads)?

1) Centered with conic foam
2) Side under the head
3) Side over the head

I dont really like the centered one, but I didnt tried it, I think a hard hit could break the piezo/wire/solder.
I did tried the piezo under the mesh. I had good results when I was using a DM10 module but not with the 2box.
Then I tried an over-head trigger from a local company and it works good.

Mi ideal would be to have it under the mesh, at the side, but cant get all the dynamics. I mean, with the threshold around -35 I can read the lower beats but can get higher than level -20. If I down the threshold config it doesnt read the ghost notes. Im using a 22m piezo on a 12" drum btw.

Thoughts?

StudioG4

Hi, my suggestion is to take a look at how 2Box designed THEIR pads (with their module design in mind). They have a trigger mounted under the mesh- off to the side (since there is no positional sensing ((yet)) with the module). They also have a foam at the perimeter (Remo muffle ring works here with a little modification to allow for the trigger) to minimize the post strike vibrations.
Works extremely well for me.
Just a thought.
Tony G

docadiddle2

From my own experience I'd agree; copy 2Box. I tried a central cone but couldn't get enough signal volume. Copying includes having the piezo back (brass side) in contact with the head and sitting on a pad of foam which does a fantastic job of isolating it from rim shots. I've got some pics here....

https://plus.google.com/photos/108028762175702024514/albums/6030015957612217505?authkey=CLKb492e_s_IwQE

Works for me.

nicog

Thanks, looks very good. Isnt any 'dangerous' having the piezo in contact with the head?

fulrmr

I've set up center and side mount trigger positions with almost identical results except for the usual "hot spot" that occurs when you hit the piezo (center mount). All my triggers use the standard cone from Quartz with the piezo facing ceramic side "up" touching the cone which of course then contacts the mesh head. I prefer the side mounted version for my 2Box modules.

nicog

Have you experienced any unsolder (piezo or ceramic) considering the solder are in contact with the cone?. By the way, which side are the 2box pads facing up?

docadiddle2

Quote from: nicog on October 13, 2014, 04:14:18 PM
Thanks, looks very good. Isnt any 'dangerous' having the piezo in contact with the head?
That's how 2Box do it themselves. I haven't felt in any danger at all :D

Seriously, it works really well for me, no hot spot and the foam gives complete isolation from rim hits. Whilst ever there's no positional sensing it seems (to me anyway) a very easy way to put in an internal trigger. The back of the piezo only needs to be about 1mm above the bearing edge and all my settings are exactly the same as for the standard 2Box pads.

nicog

One more.. regarding the foam.. is the top plain? or does it have the shape or a hole for wires and solders?

fulrmr

I usually take the soldering iron and melt a channel in the bottom of the cone to accommodate the wires and solder points before attaching the piezo to it....and have never had a failure yet that I can recall.

nicog

Makes sense, that's what I was thinking.. and how are you attaching it? is it any glue or adhesive?

fulrmr

Quartz Cones come with adhesive already applied to the bottom of the cone. You just peal off the covering and stick to the piezo. However KRT (Killer Red Tape) is what I use for this application when added adhesive is needed.