News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Erase hidden files ?

Started by mandubien, January 06, 2010, 09:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange

i can confirm these things.

it wasn't possible to rename the ._ files in the module.
and the ._  files didn't show up in the finder.

eyerichards

Hi Deve,
How do you re-format the drive. And do you copy everything from the 2 box drive to your computer first or just the sound files.
Cheers
Ian ;D

Deve Loper

Hi.

Please note, if files are deleted on the DrumIt Five by means of the Mac Finder, you have to empty the Trash to free up the space.

The fact that Mac writes ._ files seems difficult to avoid (Mac just needs to be a bit different than anything else, which is not the same as better...). However, they do not take much space and even when selected as drum sound, they'll just be silent. In the next OS version, I'll just ignore these files.

(This is for freaky users who like Unix stuff.)
If the earlier suggested way to show invisible files doesn't work, you can use the Terminal program to navigate with the cd command to the DrumIt Five drive.
(Note: these path arguments might be different on your Mac.)
cd /
cd volumes
cd "drumit five" (quotes needed)

Then you can type
ls -la
and see all files, incl the ._ ones.

Use
rm -r ._*
to remove them.

Deve.

mandubien

Quote from: Deve Loper on January 11, 2010, 03:20:26 PM
Hi.

Please note, if files are deleted on the DrumIt Five by means of the Mac Finder, you have to empty the Trash to free up the space.

The fact that Mac writes ._ files seems difficult to avoid (Mac just needs to be a bit different than anything else, which is not the same as better...). However, they do not take much space and even when selected as drum sound, they'll just be silent. In the next OS version, I'll just ignore these files.

(This is for freaky users who like Unix stuff.)
If the earlier suggested way to show invisible files doesn't work, you can use the Terminal program to navigate with the cd command to the DrumIt Five drive.
(Note: these path arguments might be different on your Mac.)
cd /
cd volumes
cd "drumit five" (quotes needed)

Then you can type
ls -la
and see all files, incl the ._ ones.

Use
rm -r ._*
to remove them.

Deve.

Hey Deve. Thank you very much for you note, it works perfectly. I just did not write rm -r._*, but rm ._* instead to make it work. I also precise that you need to be in the good folder to remove the ._ files. To do that, continue writing cd "folder name" in the terminal.

Deve Loper

Hi Mandubien.

The idea is that
rm   -r   ._*
removes recursively.

Deve.

mandubien

Quote from: Deve Loper on January 12, 2010, 07:25:20 AM
Hi Mandubien.

The idea is that
rm   -r   ._*
removes recursively.

Deve.

Ok I got the idea. It did not work for me, but it's ok without -r. Thank you very much for the tip !