News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What kind of pads do advanced players play. Does it feel different??

Started by franz-tanz, July 29, 2015, 05:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franz-tanz

Hey I ve got a question for the advanced 2-Box players! With advanced players, I mean drummers who play the 2-Box for a couple of years.   

What kind of pads do you play and why?
Do you still use the original pads or did you switch to for example full shell pads, (drumtech & so many others). 
Why did you switch?
Because you like to play the feel of a real drum? Or why.
Does it have an effect of your practice routine?
:-)
Cheers
franz

Coda

>I mean drummers who play the 2-Box for a couple of years.
Why 2 years? What difference does it make if someone played other vdrums for 6 years and had 2box recently? Aren't their opinions of different pads valid if they have experience of them?

Coda

>I switched to a Roland snare (sorry guys)
Hey, it's your money :-)

>with positional sensing,
I thought the 2box did not do positional sensing?

fishmonkey

Devious123

I would not say I'm an advanced drummer, but I'm a advanced gear buyer lol. My drummer complained about the difficulty with mis triggering with his old ddrum edge triggers, especially when playing in a live venue was so unpredictable on what vibrations you might encounter, so he stopped using E drums all together. I complained about hating  editing live drums, so i decided to find my own electronic drumset solution, and went with Aquarian onhead FSR drum pads, for toms, snare, so i mounted one on a oak board vertically inside a old tama drum using some L brackets, nylon locking nuts, and cut in half bracket for hanging curtains, that fit the angle of the onhead pad edge really well.

Anyways i like the onheads they got really nice bounce, similar to a real drum head. The one i mounted inside the kick doesn't quite have the "bounce" you would normally get from a normal kick drum head, and is not adjustable either in that regard. Despite the bounce issue being not exactly where my drummer likes it, it doesn't miss trigger at all with the gain in the 2 box module at 0, and the inhead box gain at just above 1/4 of the way.

I just got a Pearl Icon rack, and the only issue i had initially with miss triggering is with the ride, but the pads have no issues because of the FSR pads don't use piezo tech.

The one major draw back to the onheads is that they use a Inbox which has a battery, that needs replacing which is not easily accessible do to the 4 screws holding the cover down. Plus the connector is really weak due to the plastic housing, which can cause shorts if your not very careful with disconnecting them before you tear down the kit. I tried using a 9 volt pedal power supply wall wart to power the inbox but that just fried the circuit board inside.

Aquarian is really good at warranty replacing things though. I got the fried inbox (my fault), and a couple shorted onheads replaced easily enough.

wildhorse5678

You may want to check out my series of videos on Youtube called 2boxfornewbies.  One of them features Drumit5 with roland pads. As a gigging drummer with no drumtech i prefer playing with the 2box mk2 kit but the rack and pad mounts are a bit fiddly to set up and get on and off stage. So while it features in my bands latest videos cos it looks great. Im currenly using RolandTd6 pads and rack but with 2box brain and cymbals. The roland set up is more compact and easier to get on and off stage.  Www.theelectricluddites.com
2boxfornewbies.weebly.com

Murgen

Make a difference between Personal Taste, Experience and the possession of G.A.S., I own a 2Box for 4 years and I play on the factory pads. The toms still have the factory heads ... trust me, I play a lot and they keep up. Only snare and kick heads are subject to wear and tear.

My 2Box is a practice kit, permanently setup in a drum-shed in the house.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

drumsonly2002

I like Roland silent mesh pads or any acoustic drum with JMan's internal trigger with a quality mesh head. Hate anything rubber. Never tried the 2 Box pads as I only bought the module.