News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland TD20/30 owners/users

Started by Jaybee, August 18, 2014, 06:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybee

Hi guys,

I am getting close to buying a new electronic kit. Having previously owned a Roland TD20 four years ago, I was really impressed with the level of realism the kit gave. I have not been able to demo the 2Box and have to rely on reviews and comments on this forum. Is the 2Box really THAT good that it can perform and play better than the flagship Roland? £1684 v £5400 here in the UK! I was always a believer that what you pay for is what you get. Any TD20/30 users that have converted to 2Box care to comment please? I just want some reassurance that I'm purchasing the right kit! Many thanks.

Murgen

Ssssssst! Wanna know a secret? It is true! Because the brain of 2Box is using multi layered samples of the original snare, toms and cymbals. I leave the rest for the real converts, my drumteacher is one of them.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Yeah, there are several on this forum that have owned the 2Box module plus the TD-20 and or the TD-30 and played them side by side ..... decisions made over extended comparison .... not impulse decisions. But, yeah the sound superiority of the 2Box is pretty obvious to those of us that have owned/played both ....the 2Box drum module is the best improvement I have experienced in eDrum components since I got involved in them.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jaybee

Thanks guys. Jman I notice you say the Module is  the best improvement  in  eDrum components  you have experienced for a long time but does that mean you are not a fan of the actual drums themselves? Do they feel better to play than Vdrums?

Jman

Quote from: Jaybee on August 18, 2014, 08:12:56 PM
Thanks guys. Jman I notice you say the Module is  the best improvement  in  eDrum components  you have experienced for a long time but does that mean you are not a fan of the actual drums themselves? Do they feel better to play than Vdrums?
Yeah, I've been building my own Stealth acoustic to electronic conversion kits for drums and cymbals since 2005. I like the real looks and feel .... So I got rid of my electronic drum pads years ago. I'll let others discuss the drum and cymbal pads, hardware. I did buy a full kit though to begin with but that only to test when I was developing my own drums and cymbals for the 2Box module.

Here is one of my more recent videos demoing some stock 2Box add on kits/sounds and some 2Box kits built from VST software:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CddZ28W-RH4&list=UUyxShy-hZo9ENwc84c7PW8w

hemiboy

I have to say also having owned all the modules mentioned and now the 2 box , the 2 box has much better drum sound sy by far right out of the box much less when I added addictive drums and bfd 3 . I have these hooked up to acoustic drums that have been converted with electronic triggers but I have to say the Roland pads were well made and triggered fine . I never used 2 box pads but I hear they are very light weight yet trigger nicely . I would go try them all in person if possible I like the full size shells myself, but that is me

Murgen

I play on the aluminium 2Box pads with mesh heads and quite pleased with them. Toms are 10 inch with rim and snare is a whopping 12 inch with rim and coming from a TD3 with rubber pads and a wobbly 2nd hand P120 mounted on a plastic rack with plastic clamps make a world of difference. To me Roland blew it when they started selling an 8 inch tom as a 10 inch tom by putting a plastic ring around the head.
Also tried the Yamaha flavours in the past but at the end of the day 2Box pads or real triggered drums are my thing.
--------

hemiboy

Is there a huge difference in weight between comparable Roland and 2 box pads? As mentioned, I never owned a 2box pad

Jman

Yeah, the pads themselves are built of aluminum...... here's an older video, pretty funny  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0uvj0nfGQ

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on August 19, 2014, 04:07:53 PM
Yeah, the pads themselves are built of aluminum...... here's an older video, pretty funny  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0uvj0nfGQ

2Box pads seem to be much lighter in weight. Not sure if it is actually true. Will check specs.
--------

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on August 19, 2014, 04:56:00 PM
2Box pads seem to be much lighter in weight. Not sure if it is actually true. Will check specs.
I meant to say the pads are fairly light, weight wise, but definitely sturdy as they are built out of aluminum. Not sure of the weight dif. between Roland and 2Box pads though.

fulrmr

Yep...had the TDW20 and the TD30...won't be going there again. The 2Box ticked all the boxes for me in the sound, playability, price point and easy DIY build areas. Biggest bang for the buck out there even surpassing the other "Flagship" offerings. As for the pads...never used them so I defer to the others experience on those.

Jaybee

So from what I gather most of you guys just use the 2Box module and have built your own kits. I would just be looking at a standard 2Box kit as it comes. I read that 2Box recommends light sticks such as a 5A. I'm just a bit worried that the mesh on the pads won't stand up to my normal hitting level (I don't want to hold back when playing). My TD20 pass were really strong. I'm guessing that you would recommend 682 mesh heads? I know these have been discussed in detail in previous threads. I'm sold on the module and sounds but it's just the playability of the pads that are worrying me a little and the fact that most of you have custom built kits. On another note, how easy is it to load SD2 and/or Addictive drums into the module and how many of these kits can be stored directly in it? I know Jman has a 32g mod he sells. Finally when do you see 2Box releasing Drumit 6? Thanks guys. Sorry for all the questions. Just need some reassurance that I'm buying the best bang for buck!!

Murgen

Quote from: Jaybee on August 25, 2014, 08:58:14 PM
So from what I gather most of you guys just use the 2Box module and have built your own kits. I would just be looking at a standard 2Box kit as it comes. I read that 2Box recommends light sticks such as a 5A. I'm just a bit worried that the mesh on the pads won't stand up to my normal hitting level (I don't want to hold back when playing). My TD20 pass were really strong. I'm guessing that you would recommend 682 mesh heads? I know these have been discussed in detail in previous threads. I'm sold on the module and sounds but it's just the playability of the pads that are worrying me a little and the fact that most of you have custom built kits. On another note, how easy is it to load SD2 and/or Addictive drums into the module and how many of these kits can be stored directly in it? I know Jman has a 32g mod he sells. Finally when do you see 2Box releasing Drumit 6? Thanks guys. Sorry for all the questions. Just need some reassurance that I'm buying the best bang for buck!!

I play on the full kit for 2,5 years now. I play with 2B's and so far only my snare mesh had to be replaced (2 weeks ago). I decided to use the Gen16 hihat because I prefer the real thing and this is my practise kit where my gig are acoustic. So, there is no reason to fear, it survived my bashing for more then 2 years.
--------

hemiboy

I play on an A to E kit but I use the 682 black drum heads on it and they hold up great, very responsive and quiet , second quietest on those tested in digital drummer magazine , the only one that was quieter was z ed triple ply's .