News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

sound editor software (merged thread)

Started by mika77f, January 04, 2010, 01:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

Because they work on so many other things as well
With only 2 peeps

Manfred

Quote from: puttenvr on April 17, 2010, 10:29:36 AM
Because they work on so many other things as well
With only 2 peeps

That is not a good reason for advertising features they are not able to deliver for a long time. And if they are short on resources they could think about outsourcing. There are many companys or freelancers that could do the job. Or they could ask Louis if he would sell the rights of his tool to them. Maby he would also adapt it to the requirements and ideas 2Box has.

fishmonkey

yes, i can understand that it is frustrating, but 2Box is definitely working on an editor.

puttenvr

Quote from: Manfred on April 17, 2010, 10:42:30 AM
That is not a good reason for advertising features they are not able to deliver for a long time. And if they are short on resources they could think about outsourcing. There are many companys or freelancers that could do the job. Or they could ask Louis if he would sell the rights of his tool to them. Maby he would also adapt it to the requirements and ideas 2Box has.

Valid points.

3drum

I think Louis should be given the shot to complete the"official" 2Box editor. He's done a tremendous job so far even without having prior knowledge to the operating system.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Calimero on April 16, 2010, 04:21:59 PM
a bit late?
please have a look at the date of this article
http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=9902

But this was before the kit released.  So it means nothing.  What matters is what we were told when we purchased the kit - 2Box have already told us the editor is coming but has been delayed - why can you not just accept this and wait?  Why are you getting so worked up?  It'll be ready when it's ready...

Baby Samus

Quote from: Manfred on April 17, 2010, 09:58:19 AM
Meanwhile I don't believe 2Box that they are working on the editor. Louis needed about 2 weeks to release a first version of his editor including the reverse engineering of the sound format. And 2 more weeks later, maybe with some support from 2Box, he released version 1.0.

Until now i couldn't read a credible explanation why 2Box needs many months to do the same.

Manfred

Manfred why are you comparing how long it takes to make these two pieces of software?  You are assuming that the features provided by Louis' sound tool editor (good job Louis by the way) are equal to the features that the 2Box editor will have.  And of course, that cannot be done as noone has used it yet.  This is by no means an attack on dsoundtool, because I haven't used it and I don't know how many features it has, but I'd be willing to bet Dsoundtool does not have a GUI with the ability to drag and drop files onto seperate pads direct into the kit.

I would say that the 2Box software will most likely have far more features than dsoundtool offers, and therefore will be more complex to develop, hence it will take longer to write, especially if its being written by 1 or 2 people - but again we don't know how many people are working on it really, so please people, lets just wait for it.

Your point that it is not good to advertise features that are not available at the time of sale, I would agree with of course.  They should make it clear to new buyers that the tool is not ready yet, as they have already done this here on the forum.

Calimero

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 21, 2010, 10:52:18 PM
Manfred why are you comparing how long it takes to make these two pieces of software? 

I think because it has been one of the biggest sales agrument of the 2box.Many have bought the kit just for that reason.after having to wait a long time to get the kit in the first place,it is another long wait to get the kit in working order as it was told to be.Here on the messe of 2008 it is 2box itselve that talks about the editor and the use of usb and software to edit the sounds.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGdJzjq5Vg
I dont understand that you can't see that if someone bought a kit they would get frustrated to see that after buying a kit in the shop ( so not as a prototype) the updates and software to get the kit working as advertised gets delayed over and over again.It is one thing to wait for the kit to be released,it is an another thing to wait for something after you spent your money and get the kit in full working order.

Baby Samus

Quote from: Calimero on April 22, 2010, 09:54:44 AM
I think because it has been one of the biggest sales agrument of the 2box.Many have bought the kit just for that reason.after having to wait a long time to get the kit in the first place,it is another long wait to get the kit in working order as it was told to be.Here on the messe of 2008 it is 2box itselve that talks about the editor and the use of usb and software to edit the sounds.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGdJzjq5Vg
I dont understand that you can't see that if someone bought a kit they would get frustrated to see that after buying a kit in the shop ( so not as a prototype) the updates and software to get the kit working as advertised gets delayed over and over again.It is one thing to wait for the kit to be released,it is an another thing to wait for something after you spent your money and get the kit in full working order.

We all understand that the editor has been delayed - 2Box have told us already, so we know its coming quite soon.  Complaining on a forum won't make the software come any quicker.

Also, the kit was NOT RELEASED IN 2008!!  Can't you see that you cannot make complaints about a product that was NOT OUT at the time that article was written?  They hadn't even finished the kit or software then, never mind the editor so please stop mentioning that.  The kit has been out for LESS THAN ONE YEAR, and they have already released 2 hardware revisions and 4 software updates.  You might think that is no good, but for a new small company with limited resources, I think its excellent and the situation can only improve.

Calimero, you have a choice.  Sit and be frustrated and post negativity, or just wait.  Whats the point in getting annoyed?  It doesn't help anyone and it doesn't change when the software will be out.

Manfred

Hi Baby Samus,

in january deve loper announced the release  for mid of march. Now it is end of april and there is neither the editor nor an explanation for the delay nor a new release date. At the homepage they are still advertising this feature and for many people it is one of the main reasons to buy this kit.

We dont't now if the editor is coming quite soon and we don't now anything about the features. I dont't compare two editors because there is only one. Louis released a working editor with a GUI and 2Box didn't release anything, not even a command line tool. 

I had to pay the full price for the kit and thats one simple reason why i want to use all the advertised features. There are more than 50GB of drum samples on my harddisk and there is no way to use them except for buying Louis' tool.

Manfred

puttenvr

Please share that 50GB of samples with us
Would ease the pain  8)

Baby Samus

Quote from: puttenvr on April 22, 2010, 06:30:24 PM
Please share that 50GB of samples with us
Would ease the pain  8)

Yeah!  Go on Manny, share the wealth!

Manfred

Hehe, i'm afraid toontracks legal department would send me some "polite" letters if i share samples. But if you fund 209,- Euro you can get one of these sets:

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/_SET_-Toontrack-Superior-Drummer-2.0-SDX-Metal-Foundry/art-PCM146

or

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/_SET_-Toontrack-Superior-Drummer-2.0-SDX-The-Lost-New-York-Studio/art-PCM147

or

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/_SET_-Toontrack-Superior-Drummer-2.0-SDX-Custom-and-Vintage/art-PCM145

But i wonder if it is prohibited to make a soundtrack with some single hits and store it in a wav-file. Finally i can't control what others would do with that track.....

puttenvr

The site is updated at this moment

wow.... wow... wow.... exciting

Manfred

Quote from: puttenvr on April 23, 2010, 02:23:42 PM

wow.... wow... wow.... exciting

Really exciting, i hope i have been wrong when i supposed that they aren't working on the editor!