News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Roland TD-30

Started by puttenvr, January 19, 2012, 07:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumaster

Thanks SHwoKing for this feedback!

I did NOT know that 2Box cymbals were 360°, it's amazing! I tend to hit a different area too with left hand on hi-hat.
That definitely convinces me to buy a 2Box ride and hi-hat.

It's a shame that the hi-hat can't move enough when hitting it due to the fixation yes, but anyway I fixed very tightly my VH-12 anyway, so it did not move very much.

So, I'm gonna sell my VH-12 and my CY-15R!

edtc

Just my 2 cent ....  check SHwoKing's rewiew on AtoE cymbal conversion .... 

Jmans conversion or other  "real cymbal based " with edge switch + piezo located under the bell are IMO superior to rubber E-cymbals , included 2BOX ones ....  Especially for Ride purpose ... For crashes , rubber ones are better (IMO again ...)

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1300.msg12481.html#msg12481

Superior also is the noise of those cymbals .... but the playing feedback and rebound is so cool ...

I guess some ALESIS surge models ( the 3zone ride) have one piezo is located under the bell , so perfect for a 2BOX module ...

SHwoKing

Yes, the best choice for a ride is A to E conversion. But that really depends on how much noise you can do. This and if you play with headphones. Because if you play with an amp, you'll hear the sticks quiet a lot especially when hitting the bell.

ICoppo

Quote from: Drumaster on May 13, 2012, 02:20:52 PM
Hello guys,

BUT, I tried the TD-30 and I was VERY disappointed by the sounds... It's exactly the same technology as the TD-20X, they just renamed it. News is in the expressiveness but not in sounds!
The evidence is that all TD-20X settings are fully compatible with the TD-30 as the modeling technic is the same.

So, I decided to get a 2Box module and wow the sounds are great (the worst 2Box ones equal the best ones of Roland when very well tweaked IMO). I just have now to replace my ride (a CY-15R) and the hi-hat (VH-12) with 2Box ones to get a good playability and I'm gonna resell my TD-20X.

best choice you can make.

Murgen

Yesterday I finally had the chance to play on a TD30 and I was indeed very disappointed in the sounds. I only tried 1 kit (it was in a drumshop) but how artificial and machine-gun like the sounds are compared to the 2Box. However, the Roland hihat is so much better then the 2Box hihat. It feels much more natural and easier to play. There is definitely a lot of work left for 2Box to improve. It works but should be improved.

I consider replacing the 2Box hihat by the Zildjian Gen16 hats ...
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Neither the 30 nor the 2Box showed me the "wow factor" right out of the box. That said....I  bought both.  :o  Both have much potential for completely different reasons once you dig into them. I'll let you know for sure in a few months when I  finally finish my build.  Of course it will be in the DIY section. ;)

digitalDrummer

Quote from: Murgen on November 10, 2012, 11:03:09 AM
I only tried 1 kit (it was in a drumshop) but how artificial and machine-gun like the sounds are compared to the 2Box.
You may have tried the worst kit! There are some very nice kits in the TD-30 - although there are also a lot of repeated TD-20 kits. I suspect we'll see some new ones made available for download in future - either free, or paid.