News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Practice Time and Technique

Started by hemiboy, April 26, 2014, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiboy

How much time do you dedicate to your drumming weekly? What do you practice? Generally, how long are you practice sessionsI have been told by many drummers how important focused practice sessions are to my drumming progress. I find that if I don't  focus on aspect fix regimen, I screw around too much and only play what I like instead of what I need to work on. So today I decided to work on singles and doubles  together, doing 2 singles followed by 2 then 4, etc up to 16 and then back down changing the stick height and volume , really focusing on making each side sound the same as the other and make them clean. I did that for about 15 minutes that felt like 15 hours,( I am so childishly impatient)  then for another fifteen minutes I did rudiments 5 repititions  for each hand for each rudiment alternating which hand I was  starting with . Then for another 10 minutes,  I was going  around the kit clockwise with one hand singles, dubs, trips , and quads  and then  switched to counter clockwise and came down one handed quads, trips, dubs, and singles . What I found out is that I need to work on this at a slow pace, concentrating on hitting just below the center of the drum, and that it wasn't easy to make them clean! So I have lots to work on  . Next practice will be Monday and that is going to be feet with double pedals, matching whatever I  do on one foot with the other foot sort of like one talks and the other mimics. I will start with left then answer  with the right and of course switch. Then on Wednesday , I will have a Lefty Day, where everything I will work on will be all on the left hand. I know this is boring but you guys are not talking lately, so you have to listen to this insanity or please change the subject!

analoguekid

The only thing I could add to this is to start using a metronome starting at about 80 bpm.  Work for 10 to 20 minutes and bump up 4 bpm.  Work your way up to 100...muscle memory takes much longer than cerebral learning....after a couple weeks at low tempos, you'll be be nailing this stuff at higher tempos without thinking about it...

hemiboy

Thanks, I will give that a shot