News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Sequencing through kits

Started by plastichead, November 26, 2012, 09:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastichead

Hello All,
Another satisfied 2Box convert here!  I've searched for answer to this question with no luck:  I would like to play several kits within one song which would ideally be done by some sort of midi input, so I could hit a trigger (say from my SPD-S) and jump to the next kit.  Sure, I could reach across and turn the knob, but its not very elegant or easy mid-flow.
Anyone successfully done this?  Keyboardists seem to have a simple footswitch to cycle through banks, but thats not an option on 2Box I assume.
Ta!

edtc

maybe it s possible via MIDI program change....  but the problem is that sound will be cut for a second and you ll get some gliches ...

fishmonkey

there is an option to switch the sending and receiving of Program Change on and off. i haven't tried it but i assume it works, otherwise why bother receiving Program Change messages?

plastichead

Thanks for your thoughts on this guys.  So, it seems possible, but no one has come forward (yet) who has done it successfully. I am a bit surprised really, I expected it to be something that more drummers would want to do.  Its not just about going for wildly different kits just for effect, I am interested in more subtle things like varying effects or changing cymbals (ie using a china crash for one song or section only). 
Anyway, thanks for the input.
Maybe I should add it to the Drumit6 wishlist!
Cheers   

fishmonkey

erm, why don't you try it?

if i can find the time i will hook up one of my controllers and give it a go, just for curiousity's sake...

Jman

Thought I would "drum up" a new post in an old thread (pun intended) Since I have 2 2Box modules I went ahead and hooked up a MIDI cable out from my A module to my B module. I made sure Program Change was Turned On for both modules and they were both set to the same Channel. So now when I turn the dial to change kits on module A, Module B changes too. On my previous SD cards all my custom kits are arranged with the same kits on both cards. Now I need to go back and update some of my recent cards so all kits correspond ..... But it does work for those that were still wondering.

It doesn't have to be both 2Box modules of course, you just need to make sure both modules or controller and module send/receive on the same channel.
Since there are plenty of MIDI control foot pedals out there I would imagine you could hook up a dual pedal for up/down MIDI Program change and basically have Footswitches to change kits without turning the dial. Here is one device to turn a couple Footswitches into MIDI controllers:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm
The MIDI Mouse looks perfect for this: http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimouse.html
J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fishmonkey

yep, program change definitely works. i discovered this by accident recently when i unknowingly switched my MIDI interface into thru mode, causing a loopback of program changes from the module. much confusion ensued!

Devious123

I plan on trying program change again with reaper, like I did with cubase some day. It was kind of nice having the pc change my patches, but you really needed to make sure you put the program change message in the right spot! I might try this with 2box as well some day.

StudioG4

Hi Devious123, I do this all the time. My laptop runs Cakewalk with midi program changes for all the midi gear on stage including the drums, keyboards, effects etc. and supporting sequences for my band. I change kit numbers for almost every song via a program change. The major problem I am dealing with is that I have songs or medleys where I need to change kits while playing. My ddrum4 changed kits almost instantaneously with little or no drop out but, since I replaced it with the 2Box, there is a substantial delay (about a second-which is an eternity in music) when switching kits (read No kick or snare etc) until the kit comes on line. I am experimenting with different memory card sizes (I did the extender cable conversion) to see if this is a memory related issue.
But yes, it can be done (with limitations).

Devious123

I know the whole latency issues all to well. I've been playing a round with vst amps and have had a very difficult time finding a amp that doesn't take a year to load the next patch. Some are getting close, when they don't have to load the whole patch over again. I found this program I'm going to try out sometime for amp vst, which looks like it might be able to do the job, called bloxpander.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKaI94C0EDk

For instance if you just need a parameter, or maybe just a effect change, change on a amplifier, usually it is pretty instant. My axe fx could midi change parameters, or go from switching the amp to another amp, within a already loaded patch. I wonder if it would be possible to say just do a midi switch from a tom, to different tome on the 2box. I'm guessing this would be something for a future 2box module if they decide to go this route.

StudioG4

"For instance if you just need a parameter, or maybe just a effect change, change on a amplifier, usually it is pretty instant. My axe fx could midi change parameters, or go from switching the amp to another amp, within a already loaded patch. I wonder if it would be possible to say just do a midi switch from a tom, to different tome on the 2box. I'm guessing this would be something for a future 2box module if they decide to go this route."
That's kind of like what the Palette mode did with the ddrum 4. Great concept that I wish could be incorporated in the 2Box future.