News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SDSE and tuning range

Started by StudioG4, March 03, 2014, 08:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioG4

I noticed that the max. tuning range on the dsnds that I made today with SDSE is at '0' allowing me to only downtune kit pieces in the Drumit software whereas other dsnds (from 2box for example) have the max at a much higher or full amount thus allowing me to increase the tuning of a kit piece. I am converting from BFD Eco. Is there something that needs to be set before SDSE does it's magic?
Many thanks!
Tony G

Lustar

DSoundTool doesn't support this setting so it's only possible to downtune at the moment but on the other hand those .dsnd have the best possible quality since the sound is not altered (it needs to be pre-tuned to allow for tuning higher). I will look at adding the option to tune higher and if it's possible it will be in a future version of SDSE. For now a solution is to split the .dsnd file you want to be able to tune higher and build it again with the DrumIt Five Editor but I wouldn't recommend it, you would then risk getting some samples in the wrong order. What I would recommend if you have more toms than what's available in a VST kit is to load the same tom twice in the VST (or export the tom separately in BFD Eco) and change its pitch in the VST before exporting. For some VSTs like BFD3 it's possible to configure your kit with more toms before exporting, and to save that kit as a preset if you ever need to export again.

StudioG4

Thanks Lustar! That's exactly what I was doing as a work around but wasn't sure if there was a "correct" way too do it.
Many thanks again!.
Tony G

Jman

On snares, not always but on occasion, I will tune my snares higher in the VST like Lustar mentioned before exporting. That way I can always tune down to get to the way it sounds in the VST, but have the option of that higher tuned sound if I want it. Usually I will label those as something like +3 in the title depending on the number of semitones I tune up to. I also do some tom tuning if the pack doesn't have 5 toms, because that is the minimum no. of toms I like to have.
I have also rebuilt dsnds created in SDSE by splitting them and using the 2Box Editor to rebuild them and add the ability to Up tune them. That was before the latest version of SDSE. And as Lustar mentioned getting the sounds in the wrong order creating the Rollercoaster effect is something that can happen.

There is a definite disadvantage to the dsnds built though if they have that Up tunable capability. In order to get that .... the sample rate is changed and the quality is affected. Usually not noticeable or barely noticeable if they are set to be tuned up a couple semitones, but if set to the max it can be very noticeable.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Lustar

I'm happy to report that the latest version of SDSE can now produce .dsnd files that can be tuned up on the module :) The new "Max tune up" setting is in Options, Convert, dsnd. It's disabled by default to keep the best quality.