News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

aquarian Fsr inhead kick drum to snare diy!

Started by Devious123, February 25, 2014, 04:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devious123

Well after my drummer declared the rebound of the on head kick drum trigger too bouncy for speed metal, we set about converting the old tama kick drum, and orange county snare into a inhead E kick drum.

edtc

good idea ....  kick must be very heavy though , but metal bands do have roadies , so not a real problem ;)

i guess you have damp the inHead ... is it loud ? 

About the 22" head , maybe you could find a 14" hoop for the snare that is lower than the woodshell , then you could recover the inhead nicely with a 22" meshhead or normal head alligned with the inhead ... 

I guess it s possible to cut a standard metal hoop , to remove the part that you normally hit ( rim) and put flat-headed screw to replace the square ones ...

This would look better , and also protect the inside...

sorry i m french , maybe it s not clear ...:)

Devious123

Well my drummer said he the weight wasn't all that bad, and he has a bad back. We haven't damped the inhead yet, but i've read it is still pretty loud after the dampening. I bought the inhead cause I couldn't get the onheads yet, and wanted to check out if the new trigger technology worked as well as i've read, and it does. We will most likely switch from the inhead, to a onhead at some point.

Josh (drummer) has a idea to maybe have a friend of ours that works in metal fabrication make some clips that attach to the rim tuning bolts, and bend around the rim edge to hold the onheads against the snare. I will probably may or may not have some double sided tape, in the center of the onhead as well.

I'll still have to move the circle disk of plywood backer board about a inch back to keep the same about a beater travel, because the rim on this particular tama kick drum isn't just a flat piece of wood that allows you to move the kick drum back and forth, but instead you have a little groove that about a half a inch or so that the kick drum locks into, that prevents the kick drum from being positioned back farther to make up for the extra thickness of the onhead.

I'm not sure about some of your ideas as the english confuses me, but we will probably also consider a mesh head as well.