News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Snare Rim doesnt work anymore

Started by Dr.Wu, December 29, 2009, 12:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Wu

The story continues
I downloaded the new samples and tried to assign a sound to the rim of the snarepad only to find that it stopped working.
When i hit the rim it doesnt show the word rim in the display anymore and of course it doesnt make any sound and i cant assign any sound anymore.
Doesnt transmit MIDI either.
Tried to change cables but no luck.
Tom rims still work ok
Seems that the 2box wasnt made to take a beating!
>:(

NeilC

Dr Wu, is your head tight? When I first got mine I like a nice tight snare and so tightened the head really tight, at this point the rim stopped working, slacking off the head let the Rim work again... I did also take the head off and re-sat the parts, this helped a lot...

airdrummer

Hi

I ask me the question if I'll really buy this kit or not. It really seems to be unreliable enough for 2000€. Thats really expensive for me and I don't want to make a mistake buying this kit.

What's your opinion?

Thanks.

Dr.Wu

havent touched the tuning pegs of the snarepad but will give it a try.
Maybe the new rims work better than the old ones.
I found when i hit the rim with constant force every like 10 hit or so will trigger a superloud sample but the others remain silent

Travis182

So you have pressed more and the rim you want the sound on? and the volume of the rim is turned up?.

Dr.Wu

it never shows the word rim in the display for the snarepad anymore. So i cant adjust any levels or curves.
But when i keep hitting the rim with steady force i will get that occasional superloud trigger like every 10th hit or so.
Very weird and annoying.

Alex

Hold more and press the snare button. Does that show the sound levels for the rim?

Dr.Wu

it does show the rim parameters and i can even set a different sound but it doesnt trigger when i hit the rim.
I think its a broken cable. Not the first time i am afraid.

Dr.Wu

disasembled the pad and found that the black cable that should probably be connected to the Rimtrigger became unloose.
I guess thats another showcase of poor quality control at the chinese factory.
Gonna take this to my friend who already resoldered the broken cable in one of my cymbal pads.
:(

roel

Quote from: Dr.Wu on December 29, 2009, 05:21:54 PM
disasembled the pad and found that the black cable that should probably be connected to the Rimtrigger became unloose.
I guess thats another showcase of poor quality control at the chinese factory.
Gonna take this to my friend who already resoldered the broken cable in one of my cymbal pads.
:(

I can't believe this, I hear a lot of user problems with the cymbals and with the meshheads.

Dr.Wu

my ridecymbal suffered from 2 tiny cables that were squeezed in a bad way at the factory when they assembled the pad.
It had to break after a couple of hits the way it was positioned inside the pad.
Fortunately i found someone who could fix it for free and it has been ok ever since.

melsbro

As long as it's easily solderable, I don't really mind that much (if I will ever get my kit).
Still would be better if that wouldn't be needed of course.

Baby Samus

Hi guys,

Remember that 2Box is early in its product life cycle.  Any product will get revised over time and the manufacturing process gets refined increasing quality and saving money, to enable a cheaper production and selling cost.

My kit has been perfect in every way, no problems yet and build quality is really good.  A small minority of users may have a defect but I reckon this will smooth out over the next 6 months when they refine their manufacturing process.

So if you're worried about buying I would not be - I owned a TD-8KV for a long time, and the build quality on the 2box pads is way better than the Rolands, and the module is encased in aluminium unlike Roland's cheap plastic module case.  The rack has been sturdy as hell, I've had 3 drummers come over and try it and they all agreed no problems with the rack (and how much they want one!).

I think as long as you get a kit from a new shipment like I did, build quality should be perfect.  There is only one thing on this kit I am not so happy with, that is the hi-hat sensing is a little unpredictable at the moment.  Getting a consistent half open sound is really hard and control is not as good as it should be.  This seems the biggest issue with the kit at the moment and I really hope this gets fixed in an update (it is NOT a config issue).

Even so I am so happy with it, like night and day compared to my old Roland set - don't worry so much, just buy one you will not regret it!

Dr.Wu

I guess i better contact the german distributor if they are willing to exchange my 4 month old betakit to a full functional production kit then.

Dr.Wu

upon further inspection it seems that there is nothing to solder because the cable came off at the piezo side.
the piezo is glued to the case and i cant see any possibility to reattach the cable.
probably a job for the service center that requieres exhanging the complete piezo.
Gonna contact the german distributor for an exchange.
Glad i kept my old Roland snare pad so i can continue using the kit while i wait for an exchange.