News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New to the Forum and Loving it Already!

Started by SaviDrums, February 01, 2014, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaviDrums

Hi all! I've just entered into the world of e-drums for the first time by buying a 2box module and a set of gen16 cymbals, plus I bought a Roland PM-30 for amplification . I've made my own kit by converting a Pearl Rhythm Traveller that i picked up for a bargain £40. I've recovered it in a brushed aluminium finish, mounted it on a drum rack and put Z-ED Triple-X heads on. I'll post up some pics when I get the chance, it's turned out to be a great little kit - 13" Snr, 10" TT, 14" FT, 20" KD. I like a small compact kit as it makes me play more creatively.

I've been a drummer for 35yrs now and sold my beautiful Sonor S Classix Birch/Grained Maple Satin finish kit with Zildjian K Custom Hybrids just before christmas to fund switching over to e-drums. The 2box module was my first choice as I've never really liked the sounds on the Roland kits, even their latest top of the range stuff. The 2box capabilities just knock everything else out of the park as far as I'm concerned, especially being open source, it's an amazing piece of kit!

I've made the switch over from acoustic mainly as I rarely gig any more, most of my time over the past 5 years has been recording with various session guys in my area, although I don't consider myself a session drummer in as much as I don't make a full time living from it, it's more a part time thing as I'm self employed and am able to structure things around recording if need be. With the ease of recording with e-drums it just made perfect sense to me to make the switch knowing that I can easily play live gigs with this setup should I decide to get out there a bit more and enjoy the vibe of an audience.

I've got to be honest and say I'm a complete noob with all this stuff and getting to grips with the 2box module seems quite daunting as it can do more than I ever contemplated. Also, I'm one of those people who has to know exactly how it all works, so I think I've set myself a big challenge! Fortunately I have a good head for technical stuff and with your help I'm sure I'll be fine in the end.

Please forgive me if I ask some ridiculously simple questions to begin with, I cringe at the thought of it, but everyone has to start somewhere. Please be kind to this noob, I have a god sense of humour so if you do rib me I'm sure I'll be able to handle it but getting burned down in flames is bound to hurt - hopefully I won't be so stupid as to deserve it!

Cheers  :)

vulcan

Welcome!  I am new to 2box as well. I have been into electronic drums for a few years having owned both Roland and Yamaha kits. I am awaiting by new Jobeky /2box kit (never played the 2box module) and I am as excited as you are to get started. Lets have fun learning! :patbat2box:
Also, I look forward to see how you like the Gen 16 cymbals. I have no experience with them either and opted for the 2box cymbals because of the noise factor. However, I also am very interested in the new gen 16 buffed bronze. If they are more quiet then the nickel plated series... I feel gas coming on! :)

SaviDrums

The gen16's are quiet enough not to disturb neighbours, I live in an apartment. They're the nickel plated version, which I prefer, as they look more in keeping with the brushed aluminium finish I put on my kit. Zildjian also just made a software update so the cymbal sounds are even better than the original set.

The thing I like most about them is that they play like the real deal, the rubber cymbals I tried out had a terrible feel which is why it took me so long to switch over to an e-kit, also, I wasn't impressed by the looks and feel of the Aleisis/Hart brass cymbals. [size=78%]I'd be interested to know what you think of the new bronze gen16's once you've tried them out though.[/size]

hemiboy

Welcome Savidrums,
   It is funny how we all fit in here on the forum. You've played for over 35 years and I hadn't played  for over 40 years,  up until about 2 and one half years ago,  when I started playing again. Started out with a roland kit and expanded and tweaked it to the nines. But , something was always missing, and it was my 46 year old ludwigs that I still had and had stored for all of those years. So, I started hearing about a to e conversions and 2 box and then I got into a big financial mess  and I had to sell my whole blown out roland kit. I only had a few dollars and my old Ludwigs so , I financed a 2 box module ,read about every trigger known to man and after totally confusing myself, I  got help from a guy, Jman, on this forum for triggers, and I converted them. I enjoy playing them, have knocked off some of the rust, and enjoy drumming again. Look forward to your posts, and again welcome to the forum!

Murgen

Welcome to the secret society of 2Box owners. We are a myth and uninown to the public until recently 2Box start to pop up in stores in the US.

I play 2Box and Gen16 for some time now and it is one of the best setups in e-kit world from my point of view.

Enjoy!
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Welcome to the  madness! Never played drums before 2008.....been through the top Roland offerings and cut my teeth on DIY because of a champagne taste and a beer pocketbook. Ended up my journey with what I consider the best of both worlds....the 2Box. IMHO the best audio...at the best price with no compromise in playability. Still just a hobbyist and builder mostly but I do enjoy 2Box and Gen16s.  ;) Have fun! :)

UC

Hey Savidrums! Pictures or GTFO  :P

Just kidding, welcome to the club.

Dead serious about wanting to see pics of your setup though!

hemiboy

Wow what a welcome. That 's like an axe murderer cutting of your head and then saying he really didn't mean it, lol. Welcome, and we have fun here even if it is at  your expense! But, he really was only kidding!

SaviDrums

I've been busy recording over the last wek, hence no pix yet.... But I will post some up in the morning  :patbat2box:

hemiboy

Hey Savi, what triggers are you using with your kit? I am looking at the  z ed 3 plys but I live in the Us and I don't think they ship here, unless I am wrong, and I hope I am

SaviDrums

I made my own triggers as have others here. I bought the piezo's from my local electronics store dirt cheap at around $1.20 each and made my own cones for them, they work great! Have a look in the DIY section on the forum, there's plenty of info on how to make them there.

I bought my Z-ED Triple X heads from a seller called playrecord_uk on eBay UK, he dose ship worldwide and his prices are good ;)

SaviDrums

Ok, so here's some pix of the kit. I haven't got pix of the whole build but you'll get the idea anyway.

First, this is the donor Pearl Rhythm Traveller that I picked up in a Cash Coverter type shop for £40. It was covered in cheap red sticky back plastic that was bubbling up, underneath was the original black wrap so I stripped it all back to its original form.

As you can see, I mounted it on a rack and added the gen16's

However, I didn't like all the blackness and found it too overbearing, so I decided to recover it in a Brushed Aluminium finish used on car bodywork. Here's the pix of how it looks now with my Roland PM-30 including Satellites mounted low on the rack to avoid interference with the gen16 pickups. Also, I replaced the crap black single ply Pearl heads with the Z-ED Ttriple X heads. The triggers I made myself.

Clear plastic tube used for rim protectors

I'll be adding some decals to the front mesh head and another couple of gen16's shortly.

csnow

Looks like a fun kit.  Welcome to the forums.

UC

Wow, the kit looks fantastic, thanks for following up with the pics.

Murgen

Your gen16's look different?  Did you sanded them?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012