News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box/SDSE system/tip

Started by Deacon Daniell, January 28, 2014, 03:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deacon Daniell

I asked Jman if he had heard of anybody doing this sytem/trick, and he said no so I'd thought I'd post it. I did'nt like the fact that the dsnd's I would create with SDSE would sometimes have more ambience/Room sound than I liked through the PA so I would have to go back and redo it. I came up with a little system to remedy the problem. I went and bought some red ddrum triggers and put them on my 2box kit. Now when I create dsnd's I make two versions. One is just the snare,kick,toms direct with the room mics,OH and Ambience muted. Then I make another dsnd with the direct mics muted and the room mics,OH and Ambience on, and add the prefix ROOM in SDSE. I set up the ddrum triggers to fire the ROOM dsnd's and the drum pad fires off the first dsnd which is the dry dsnd. So now I can dial in the amount of room sound for each drum on the percusion channel after the fact and never have to redo anything. You may already be doing this but if not and you have an extra drum trigger laying around give it a try. I have had great results layering drums with this system also.

nocturnodrummer

Nice idea, but I'm confused  ;) but I have several questions:

Do you have 2 modules? If not, how it is done? Do you maybe connect 2 triggers into one input?

And how about the layering? I guess that using round robin (VAR) is not an option in this setup because 2 dsnd files should've been synchronised in playing the same sample at the same time. Otherwise, hearing different velocities would be bizarre.

Jman

Quote from: nocturnodrummer on January 28, 2014, 04:56:06 PM
Nice idea, but I'm confused  ;) but I have several questions:

Do you have 2 modules? If not, how it is done? Do you maybe connect 2 triggers into one input?

I asked the same question. Deac is using one module but splitting his Tom inputs and using the extra inputs he gets for the add on triggers.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Deacon Daniell

It's one module

I am putting a ddrum trigger on the 2box snare drum like you would an acoustic drum.

The ddrum trigger is on a percussion Chanel/tom rim

The percussion channel/tom rim  is set to a dsnd that only has the room sound of a snare

The 2 box snare is set to a dsnd that has the direct sound of a snare

When I hit the snare it triggers both dsnd's and at the module I can control the levels of each separately

Layering two different dsnd's is just like you would layer sounds in a recording session. if you were beefing up a kick or snare or tom that was missing a little bite. You would use a sample underneath to give it some umph. Or if you had snare that was super dry that wasn't made by you, all you have to do is find a similar snare's room sound and use that to give it some space.

I have not had any phasing issues with the direct dsnd's and room dsnd's on different triggers.

nocturnodrummer

Thanks for answering my question. Still, I would love to see it in action. Any chance of showing us some kind of video? Or audio if vid isn's possible. I would be grateful :D

Lustar

Great trick! It's also simpler than what was suggested in another thread, very nice!

Deacon Daniell

It is really easy to do. I will try and make a little video later tonight.

Deacon Daniell

Here is a crappy little video I did real quick but I think it basically covers it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnTNOD9_K7w

edtc

Did you try to split the snare head's piezo  signal , and feed it to the secondary input , instead of using another trigger ?    IMO , you would get a more accurate signal like this .

Deacon Daniell

I wanted to keep the snare rim sound so I used it on the toms rim. I tried it both ways and it was the same.

edtc

Quote from: Deacon Daniell on January 30, 2014, 07:48:12 AM
I wanted to keep the snare rim sound so I used it on the toms rim. I tried it both ways and it was the same.

i didnt mean to use the RIM piezo , but to split the HEAD piezo ...

Deacon Daniell

How do you split the snare head trigger piezo?

fulrmr

Quote from: Deacon Daniell on January 30, 2014, 06:20:57 PM
How do you split the snare head trigger piezo?

Theoretically...you just use another "Y" cable on the head side of the first "Y" cable at the pad and fed it into 2 inputs. ;)

This basically what I do except I feed the signal from the "Y" to 2 separate modules...then each direct out to a separate channel on my console. There's no reason this can't be done on one module though using 2 inputs. :)

Lustar

It could even be done on one module using only a single input, by losing the tom rims.

You would need two stereo breakout cables, the same kind used to split tom Inputs on the module to use the tom rims to add more cymbals:

Hosa YPP-117, 1/4 stereo male to separate 1/4 female tip/ring.

and one mono splitter:

Hosa YPP-111, 1/4 stereo male to 2x 1/4 female mono.

To do the room trick with a single tom input, losing the rim:
- Plug a stereo breakout cable on the Tom input, Hosa YPP-117 or similar.
- Plug the other stereo breakout cable on the pad, Hosa YPP-117 or similar.
- Plug the mono splitter in one of the breakout outputs from the pad (red for head), Hosa YPP-111 or similar.
- Use a mono cable from one of the mono splitter outputs from the pad to the breakout input on the module that will be used for the normal .dsnd without room.
- Use a mono cable from the other mono splitter output from the pad to the other breakout intput on the module that will be the room .dsnd

For the snare, a slightly different way could be used to be able to keep the snare rim, by using another input on the module.

You would need the same two YPP-117 stereo breakout cables as above, and one stereo splitter:

Hosa YPP-118, 1/4 stereo male to 2x 1/4 stereo female.

To do the room trick for the snare and keep the rim by using another module input for the room:
- Plug the stereo splitter on the pad, Hosa YPP-118 or similar.
- Plug a stereo breakout cable on the module input that will be used for the room .dsnd
- In one of the YPP-118 outputs plug a stereo cable that goes to the Snare Input on the module.
- In the other YPP-118 output plug a stereo breakout cable, Hosa YPP-117 or similar.
- Use a mono cable from one of the stereo breakout outputs (red for head) from the pad to the stereo breakout cable plugged in the module input you will use for the room .dsnd

Deacon Daniell

Thanks guys I'll check it out