News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Double triggering / ghosting on the snare

Started by Manfred, December 29, 2009, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alainV

I don't have problems of double triggering ... strange
I have set the mesh really tight, let the original threshold
but I have completely changed the rim settings.

The hihat word now almost good.. (depends also of the choosen sound) but sometimes it appears to be open while its close
(I have a yamaha hihat pedal).

Orange

Hi Manfred,

the key is to change the triggertype in the brain-settings to pad 10 or even AcTr3.
Just try different variations of settings, and also gain and threshold.
I had double-triggers as well with factory-settings, but now they are completely gone, and the sensitivitiy is superb. (from the lightest stroke to very loud)
(without changing the mesh head or the tightening of the head)

edtc

hello from france ....

I agree with Manfred , dampening a mesh head helps a lot for accurate triggering ...

Dampening the mesh head from the inside (with some foam ring like a REMO muffle http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/599/607/dh_muffl_ring.html or something DIY ) prevents the skin to vibrate creating some "sustain"
... the piezo ,who acts a bit like a microphone , picks that sustain , and this "long" signal causes double or triple triggering ...
IMO, dampening the skin , combined with a precise GAIN setting is a good way to go...
So allways try to "feed" the pads input with the best possible signal ( CLEAN GAIN AND MUFFLED RESONNANCE ), it will help the brain to detect precisely ...
this way you can lower the threshold quite a lot ...

I dont own a whole 2box kit , but only the module , as a snare drum ,i use a 12" pearl tom with a DDRUM snare trigger and a DDT mesh head
...that works quite well exept for the rim , i think it is a weekness of any  drum trigger on acoustic drum , as the rim piezo and the skin piezzo are mounted on the same shell and are not enough insulated from each other...if you have tricks to share on this ...

I wish you all a happy new year , with a new and working module editor , and a new and more tweekable OS , with presets for other brands hihats , cymbals , and drum pads for example ;)

... and for me a new SD card ... i ve got a bad one :( but still enjoy this great module!!!)

puttenvr

2Box pads already have foam inside so I don't see the need and room to add another Remo Muffle

roel

Quote from: puttenvr on December 26, 2010, 08:13:54 AM
2Box pads already have foam inside so I don't see the need and room to add another Remo Muffle

That's right so why we wanna do that...

edtc

sorry , but as i said , i do not own 2box pads ... if there is foam inside it s great ;)

Manfred

Those who don't have problems with multiple triggers might not see the need to do something. But there are some kits where the problems can not be fixed by simple trigger settings. Damping with foam is not the best solution since it reduces the playable area at the pad. Changing the head to a 2-ply type is better in my opinion. Since i changed to a drumtec design meshhead i don't have problems anymore. With the new head i can even set the threshold to -48 and there are no problems.

Manfred

Baby Samus

Hi guys,  in my experience whatever pad the snare is set to needs to have the head set tighter than the others, as you would on a normal kit.  The only time my snare double triggers is when the head has slackened off, so make sure none of you have the snare head too slack.  +1 to what putt says, there is already a large foam ring support in each pad, so you really should not need to add more.

AlainV seems to agree on this too, he hasn't changed any settings and just made sure the head was tight enough and again, no double triggers.

I think anyone having these issues should double check how tight the snare mesh head is before sticking on bits of foam and cloth and whatever else - try threshold 40, gain 0, curve normal, then tighten the snare head until the double triggers stop.  My snare head is tightened almost as tight as a normal snare batter head would be - but I think this is how it should be set, as your snare reponse has to be lightening quick - the slacker the head the less responsive it will be, hence the poor triggering.

None of you  should need to add anything to your kit to make it work - it should just work, and if it doesn't get the parts replaced whilst you can because something is wrong.

edtc

Ok guys , I know now where i can stick my foam ring ...;)

puttenvr

In general it's always good to crank the mesh heads up a bit more, since their surfaces always behave more flexible (irregular) than a normal (more stiff) plastic head would do.

mitch66

Right out of the box my snare had double triggering too. I cranked up the head to my notmal snare drum tension and the ghost was gone.

BURNIN AMBITION

wooow nice thread resurrection!!!

in my opinion, quite the opposite should be done. not cranking the mesh head too much. i have it with mid tention. having it too tight, makes the beater bounce way more thus making it double triggering. reducing threshold should be the first thing to do imo.
first you must set up gain correctly. than have medium tight mesh head and experimenting with threshold. if you cant achieve optimal trigerring, tehn you should try tigting the mesh a bit i guess... thats what my experience tells me
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

reekster

To me, it seems some of the snare samples have a bit of slap back echo in them. Make sure it's not just the individual sound before you start tweaking and create a new problem for yourself. My snare performs great but I do notice a slapback on some samples.

OorShuggs

I did not realise the double triggering when using 2box module. it was only when I connected 2box to laptop using Cubase and addictive drums and the double triggering was really bad on my snare. I cranked up tension on snare but did not help.. I followed advice about adjusting setting on 2box module.. set threshold to 40.. gain = 0.. curve = normal... works a treat.. no more double triggering.. Happy days