News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What's everyone use as an audio interface?

Started by mcrackins, January 25, 2014, 09:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcrackins

Quote from: rpb1966 on March 01, 2014, 11:05:02 AM
Focusrite Pro 24 DSP, works brilliantly, best purchase for years.

The reason I was looking at the Sapphire Pro 40 was that it has 8 inputs. I'm wanting full control over individual drums/cymbals for mixing. Are you able to do that with the Pro 24?

mcrackins

Thanks for all the answers.....After doing some additional research, I'm going with the Focusrite scarlett-18i8

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8

Travis182

Make sure you check out the E-MU 16/16! cracking interface and stunning quality for the money!.

http://www.creative.com/emu/products/product.aspx?pid=19007

KonaNeil

I'm not yet an owner and can't find a jpg of the 2Box jack panel. Thus, I'm not sure what it offers or lacks.

Seeing the mix of digital and analog i/o's on the mixers suggested in this thread, I'm wondering what the need is for this box. Is this for a live sub-mix into your band's PA mixer or to re-digitize the 2Box audio output to go into a DAW? If the later, has anyone attempted to tap into the 2Box before it's D/As in order to derive a digital output to go to their computer?

Jman

Quote from: KonaNeil on May 07, 2014, 09:27:48 PM
I'm not yet an owner and can't find a jpg of the 2Box jack panel. Thus, I'm not sure what it offers or lacks.
you can download the manual here: http://www.2box.se/US/pages/downloads/
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Dänoh

There you go:

HTH

mcrackins

Seeing the mix of digital and analog i/o's on the mixers suggested in this thread, I'm wondering what the need is for this box. Is this for a live sub-mix into your band's PA mixer or to re-digitize the 2Box audio output to go into a DAW? If the later, has anyone attempted to tap into the 2Box before it's D/As in order to derive a digital output to go to their computer?

Hi Kona,

I'm getting rid of my ancient Behringer mixer and want an audio interface that has 8 inputs for the 2box outputs. I want to control volumes of each instrument in my DAW not from the Drummit 5 brain and don't want a mixer as there isn't a need with an audio interface like this.

Thanks Travis, I'll scope that E-MU 1616 out.

KonaNeil

Thanks for all the input guys. After lurking here for two years, it helped to finally push me over the edge.

I just bought a plain vanilla 2box kit for one home and a module with Pintech drums and cymbals for my other place. All of this is from a store that after investing in the sets and the space to display them, realized it was easier to sell limited, simple to use Roland and Yamaha kits to drummers of average intellect and non-existent technical skills :( (I hope I put that kindly enough)

Jman: You should get a commission on every kit sold! I'll be in touch for 32GB extenders and possibly a hi hat switch.

mcrackins: Thank you. Now I understand. Really a shame you need to run the signal through another conversion to get it into your DAW. Wonder if anyone has suggested digital outputs for the Drummit6? Every digital conversion costs us significant sonics.

Jman

Quote from: KonaNeil on May 15, 2014, 09:08:45 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. After lurking here for two years, it helped to finally push me over the edge.

I just bought a plain vanilla 2box kit for one home and a module with Pintech drums and cymbals for my other place. All of this is from a store that after investing in the sets and the space to display them, realized it was easier to sell limited, simple to use Roland and Yamaha kits to drummers of average intellect and non-existent technical skills :( (I hope I put that kindly enough)

Jman: You should get a commission on every kit sold! I'll be in touch for 32GB extenders and possibly a hi hat switch.

mcrackins: Thank you. Now I understand. Really a shame you need to run the signal through another conversion to get it into your DAW. Wonder if anyone has suggested digital outputs for the Drummit6? Every digital conversion costs us significant sonics.

Congrats on the new kit. I'm sure you will like it. The module produces much higher quality sounds than the top of the line, pricier competition. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edtc

Quote from: mcrackins on May 08, 2014, 06:57:26 PM
Hi Kona,

I'm getting rid of my ancient Behringer mixer and want an audio interface that has 8 inputs for the 2box outputs. I want to control volumes of each instrument in my DAW not from the Drummit 5 brain and don't want a mixer as there isn't a need with an audio interface like this.

Thanks Travis, I'll scope that E-MU 1616 out.

I guess the EMU 1616 is only working with PCMCIA or PCI interface ... so forget it if you want a computer younger than 6 years  ...

.firewire is quite dead so forget it too ..

Nowdays there are a lot of decent 8 analog ins USB audio interfaces ..

If you just want to record any of them will do the job... behringer is gonna release a 8 in USB card with 8 MIDAS designed preamps /adat interface for 8 more in/outs , midi , headphone outs for 200â,¬ for example ...

Be aware that mixing the drums outputs within the DAW will add between 5 and 20 ms to the overall latency of the DRUMIT 5 ( 3 to 5 ms ) .... IMO that is unplayable and will drive you crazy...

If you need to achieve low latencies and stability , in order to play VSTinstruments live or use  vst effects , you ll have to pay the price ... nothing less than a RME MOTU Universal audio or stuff like that ...  Between 700 and 3000â,¬..

some of those boards have onboard DSP that provides you effects , EQ compression and  close to zero latency mixing....
you can even control the mixer with a midi controller if you need so ...

A cheaper way to work with low latency , is to use a desktop computer . Most PCI PCIexpress cards are much stable than USB or FIREWIRE stuff ...  you can get a second hand 8 ins system for 200 to 500 euros ... i suggest RME , EMU , ESI ...

Desktop computers are most of the time more stable and "audio friendly" than laptops .. and cheaper ....

so all depends of your needs ...

fishmonkey

it also helps to have a fast computer that has been setup for audio production if you want to achieve stable low latencies.

note that lower audio buffer sizes and higher sample rates result in lower latency, but higher CPU load.

also, processing your sound in software with latency-inducing effects will create extra latency too.

Temas

I don't own a 2box yet but use a PCIe card by RME, the HDSPe AES-32, with Lavry converters. Can't get lower latency than this combination.

Does anyone know if the outputs on the 2box module are balanced or unbalanced? I couldn't find it in the manual.

fishmonkey

the outputs are unbalanced, but wired so that you can use standard balanced cables to a balanced input.

Devious123

I'll be using a Behringer x32 rack, midi sport 2x2. Previous dm3200 will most likely be getting sold some time in the near future.

mcrackins

Finally picked this up last week. Can't wait to try out out now that I've got my kit back in action. Tried some guitar and bass through it and it sounds fantastic.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-18i8