News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Mackie Thump 12s

Started by JoeMcc, August 19, 2014, 04:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeMcc

I picked up a Makie thump 1000W powered speakers for monitoring the 2box kit.  It sounds nothing like the headphones...not even close.  Is it simply the speakers? Is it because it's mono?

I know some QSC or Yamaha DXRs would be nice...but they are far too expensive. 

Any advise?

Joe

Dav3502

Simmons DA200s sounds great through my 2box kit.

puttenvr

First of all: powered speakers will never sound like your headphone since they're different kind of speakers which are driven by different amplifiers. I don't know about the SPL specs (the number of watts doesn't say anything about the ability of reproducing powerful drum sounds) but 126 dbA (or so) and a good 15 inch low speaker and 1'75 inch tweeter will do the job. Perhaps this Mackie is made of some (cheap) components which are good for playing party music through it, but not an electeonic drum kit. I had a JBL eon G2 myself and is was quite okay, but for a decent monitoring you need more. Depends on what you want and in which context (home, venues)

JoeMcc

Just home stuff....

I'm using the mackie for other stuff and pulled out the old behringer K3000.  It sounds better but still far from perfect.

Joe

fishmonkey

the Mackie specs for the 12" Thump are:

Frequency Range (â€"10 dB): 57 Hz â€" 20 kHz
Frequency Response (â€"3 dB): 70 Hz â€" 18.5 kHz

in other words, their power in the low bass drops off precipitously... 70 Hz is only a bit deeper than the D string on a bass guitar...

apart from that, good sound costs. headphones have an excellent sound quality/cost ratio, much higher than a speaker/amp system...