News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

WTF! - Module is dead

Started by mcrackins, July 31, 2014, 04:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

Quote from: mcrackins on August 09, 2014, 07:34:59 PM
Thanks, yes...was given RMA and shipped it off last week for warranty replacement. Hopefully will see it in a few weeks. I was thinking the other day....thank god I didn't do the USB mod or I would have been screwed.

Going forward I will be unplugging the AC adapter from the brand new APC surge protector after each use!

The mod is reversable without traces. Just treat the screws gently. :)

I'm very fond from Apple because their power supply designs are superior. 2Box should have integrated the trafo in the module. Shipped to your dealer, Hosh or 2Box?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

1809ron

I had this problem. Checked the psu and it showed dc output only. Nothing on ac. Took it to the supplier Wembley Drum Centre and they just took ananother psu off the display model and gave it to me.. Job done, although a bit worrying as to why it happened at all as was only 6 weeks old

mcrackins

Quote from: Murgen on August 09, 2014, 07:52:02 PM
The mod is reversable without traces. Just treat the screws gently. :)

I'm very fond from Apple because their power supply designs are superior. 2Box should have integrated the trafo in the module. Shipped to your dealer, Hosh or 2Box?

Ahh gotcha...good to know. To Hosh.

Interesting...the PSU on Thomman looks like an "official' PSU, whereas the one shipped for the US kit says CMP as the maker. 2box probably just rebranded the Euro one....but there is a difference.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/2box_drumit_five_power_supply.htm

It seems like a few stores in Europe sell replacement PSU's, but I haven't found a single North American reseller that is carrying replacement PSU's. I'd like to get one for a backup. Any ideas or dealers?

Jman

Quote from: mcrackins on August 11, 2014, 08:27:50 PM

It seems like a few stores in Europe sell replacement PSU's, but I haven't found a single North American reseller that is carrying replacement PSU's. I'd like to get one for a backup. Any ideas or dealers?
I bought a couple of these for backups and they have the required 2Box specs and they work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-SUPPLY-CHARGER-ADAPTER-TRANSFORMER-18V-0-5A-500MA-5-5MM-2-5MM-2-1MM-AC-DC-/221450899362?pt=Multipurpose_AC_to_DC_Adapters&hash=item338f808fa2
Mouser used to stock one that I bought too and still use:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=412-218054virtualkey21980000virtualkey412-218054
But they don't carry that one anymore.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

mcrackins

I received my module back today...which is great!

So here is something strange. Hoshino sends it back "My original unit" I know because the RMA number I taped onto it was still there, and I could still smell the faint electrical smell at the PSU input...and the SN# is the same. What is really odd is the adapter they put in the box, didn't even look new and was loose inside the original box I sent. The adapter itself is not a CMP model but a "KORG" 18V output PSU. I'll throw up a picture tomorrow. "Korg model DJ-10-18"

Everything powered on and I gave the kit a quick once over and everything appears to be okay. I'm a little concerned, that they may not of done any kind of diagnostic...but as long as it's functioning okay..then I'm alright with that.

Now here is some advice for anybody who has a kit but doesn't have an backup power supply unit. GET ONE!

Having the warranty is great, but not so great if you dole out 90 bucks for shipping the unit with insurance back and forth and all that was wrong was a defective PSU.

I've contacted a few people about getting a backup PSU - Electronic Drum Center carries them in the States.

Hoshino said I'd have to get the official adapter through Efkay in Montreal, and they said Long & McQuade stores in Canada can order the PSU's directly from them.

Also the sources that Jman provided.

So that'll be my next must have, as I don't want go through this again only to find out it was the PSU.

Next up will be adding resetting to default and adding the Euro files in to match my mesh head setup.

Props for the turnaround, I only had to wait just over 2 weeks.

Hope this helps somebody out who may have the same PSU misfortune.