News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick pad not working

Started by DocBrown, December 08, 2013, 02:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocBrown

Hello everybody. This is my first post in this forum, but I've been using it as a knowledge source for a while.

So I have now a problem and I don't know where to go. My kick pad stopped working today; yesterday I had a rehearsal and worked fine, but when I mounted the kit this morning the kick didn't work, just only when hitting the trigger directly with a stick or with my fingers. I removed the head (factory standard) and the foam, but nothing seemed to be wrong, but it just triggers the sound when I hit it directly.

A few weeks ago I had some problems with the same pad, and I observed that the trigger was unstuck (I'm not native english speaker, is that the ritght word?) from the foam, and I taped it and worked fine until today.

The question is, will the problem solve just glueing the trigger to the foam, or should I replace the trigger? If it has to be replaced, which one can I install? Can it be anyone just like the one in the picture below attached to the foam?

Thanks a lot.

PS. Of course, I checked all cables.

Dänoh

Welcome to the forum, DocBrown! :)

I'm not much of an expert in that area, but try double sided foam tape ('3M' or other equivalents), seems to work fine for other forumites.

Happy Drumming!

DocBrown

Thanks for your answer (and for the welcome  :) ) Dänoh. What do you mean exactly? To tape the edge of the plastic cover of the trigger to the foam?

edtc

did you check the soldering on the piezo ?   

DocBrown

Quote from: edtc on December 08, 2013, 05:41:51 PM
did you check the soldering on the piezo ?   
No, I didn't. The trigger seems to be glued and I didn't want to pull and make a bigger breakdown

Jman

Quote from: DocBrown on December 09, 2013, 11:05:44 AM
No, I didn't. The trigger seems to be glued and I didn't want to pull and make a bigger breakdown
Most likely your problem is the piezo, and it either needs a wire soldered back on (as suggested by edtc) or a new piezo altogether. If it is working sporadic then most likely the adhesive is the only thing holding the wire on at all.  A search of previous threads will bring up similar results.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

DocBrown

Thanks for all replies. Finally I had to solder a wire to the piezo, and it works quite fine. But I noticed that volume has decreased, I had to re-adjust volume and gain on my kits. Something is telling me that it's going to stop working again  :(

Dänoh

??? Better piezo with better wires?  ???

Maybe? No?

DocBrown

Quote from: Dänoh on December 12, 2013, 04:55:10 PM
??? Better piezo with better wires?  ???

Maybe? No?

Maybe I'll buy one for replacement, yes. But this is the original, it's supposed to work properly  :-\

edtc

... s.h.i.t  happens    :)

Dänoh

DocBrown

I love that expression  ;D

Well, several hours playing, and no more troubles, seems to work. Only one thing a bit weird. I play in a band where all sounds I use are digital samples with no sensitivity (output on max2 on all pads). On some sounds triggered with the kick pad, when I hit with the left foot (double pedal), the sample sounds "broken", but never with my right one. I think this is one of universe's misteries  :o

teletom007

Hallo DocBrown

(output on max2 on all pads)
interesting!
what a kind of music are you doing?

tom

DocBrown

Quote from: teletom007 on December 27, 2013, 07:30:42 AM
Hallo DocBrown

(output on max2 on all pads)
interesting!
what a kind of music are you doing?

tom

Well, actually I'm a rock/metal drummer, but I recently joined a band which mixes celtic folk, asturian traditional music, and electronic, quite interesting. I'm learning the songs and rehearsing, no gigs for now (they're working on 2014 agenda). With this band I'm not playing as a "classical drummer", more kinda "e-percussionist".

Here you have a video of their 2012 Live DVD (I'm replacing the guy on pads). Full concert is available on their youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/xerainfo. All music Creative Commons free downloadable in their site xera.eu if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xUo1U9dUG8

teletom007

hy,
ok all clear. This is a very interesting project. Good sound. There is max2 course just right.