News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

importing vst sounds

Started by gpk57, January 04, 2014, 12:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpk57

I'm wondering if its possible with 2box to import multiple samples for single hit as typically used in VSTs? For example, a snare hit in Steven Slate drums has several samples: the mic on the head, the mic on the snare bottom, the overheads, and room mic, etc.

I can imagine using Dsoundtool you can import a mix down of these by generating a one wav file. However, I'm wondering if can keep them as separate wave files and load them into 2box.

The idea is that you could adjust the mix of overheads/direct mics even after you have them in 2box--which would make it just as powerful as the vst!

Cheers,
Gord

Dänoh

Well, if you wanted to do this the 'degenerate way', you could split the trigger-signal of your pads, going into two separate 2box modules: one with all dry samples, the other one with just '100% wet' overhead signals. Route the individual outputs of both modules to an outboard mixer, and adjust wet/dry-balance there!

That would still leave you with the problem of adjusting the mic-bleeds of the individal kit-pieces, though!   ;D

edtc

Quote from: Dänoh on January 04, 2014, 01:57:45 AM
Well, if you wanted to do this the 'degenerate way', you could split the trigger-signal of your pads, going into two separate 2box modules: one with all dry samples, the other one with just '100% wet' overhead signals. Route the individual outputs of both modules to an outboard mixer, and adjust wet/dry-balance there!

this wont work , as samples are randomly played by each modules , so you wont have the same hit played on both modules ...

Dänoh

Quote from: edtc on January 04, 2014, 03:58:58 AM
this wont work , as samples are randomly played by each modules , so you wont have the same hit played on both modules ...

I was kind of aware of this, really ...just thought I would play along!  ;)

Then again, if one sets 'Layer' to 'fixed', would this change anything? ... by deactivating randomisation?

Lustar

gpk57, it would be great to have the possibility to import mic layers in a future module from 2Box, but it's not possible to do it with the DrumIt Five without doing what Danöh suggested. It would certainly work when setting everything to "fixed", if losing the humanize feature from the module is acceptable. That would be a crazy setup though :) If you need the whole mixing possibilities at all times triggering the VST seems like the best option. The simpler but less flexible way is to just export several versions of a kit to have a variety of sounds available on your module. You wouldn't be able to mix the sounds on the module but you would be able to easily switch between different versions and with the 32GB SD card mod space is not an issue at all.