How to load the new Synth drum kits (or any other kits) - Newbie!

Started by AndyMo, October 22, 2013, 08:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyMo

Hi,

Sorry, I'm new to the forum (today). I expect this is a daft question and hopefully covered elsewhere. However, I'm a little nervous about tinkering and modifying kits, sounds, etc., until I know how to back up the current setup and correctly add/change/remove kits.

I downloaded the files for the new Synth kits and thought it would be fun to try them out. I wanted some advice about how to add/modify/remove kits - and the best way to back up the current setup (I did make some changes a year or so ago when I first got the kit).

Thanks!
Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on October 22, 2013, 08:23:22 PM
Hi,

Sorry, I'm new to the forum (today). I expect this is a daft question and hopefully covered elsewhere. However, I'm a little nervous about tinkering and modifying kits, sounds, etc., until I know how to back up the current setup and correctly add/change/remove kits.

I downloaded the files for the new Synth kits and thought it would be fun to try them out. I wanted some advice about how to add/modify/remove kits - and the best way to back up the current setup (I did make some changes a year or so ago when I first got the kit).

Thanks!
Andy
Hi Andy:
Start out by copying all files from your current 2Box module to your computer. Be sure you copy to the desktop or somewhere you can find the folder again. That is your current backup.
The Synth folder is about 313mb ... so you just need to check how much room you have on your current module/card and delete whatever amount of sounds from your current module/card to have room to load the Synth folder. I don't know how you have your Synth files arranged, but the easiest way to put them on your card is to just have all in one folder. I have one folder called Synth on my card.

Depending on how many songs you have in your song folder ..... an easy way to test the Synth sounds is just to remove the song folder. Load the Synth folder ..... try it out. If you decide you like it you can remove other files, etc ... and load your song folder back on if you like.

This is one of the things I like about having the 32GB card mod. Instead of picking things to delete I just keep all the original files and add more. And then if running out of room on a card, just start a new one :)

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

AndyMo

Hi Jman,

Thank you very much -- this is very helpful! I will back up everything and see if I can squeeze the Synth folder on to the card. I will also take a look at the forum to learn more about the card mod. Sounds like that could be very useful.

Thanks again for your help!
Andy

AndyMo

Hi Jman....

I can see the need for a card mod. I haven't added any new files over and above what was included on the module and it's pretty full. As you say, I'll have to temporarily remove files, etc., to try out the Synth kits, etc.

When I purchased the module last year, I was surprised it includes support for USB 1 and wondered if it might be slow. It certainly is when attempting a full backup. Still backing up, so playing around with the Synth kits will probably have to wait for another day...

However, during the backup I started listening to various demos people have added to the forum. The 2box recordings are excellent and demonstrate what a flexible and powerful system it is.

Thanks again for your advice!

Andy

Jman

Quote from: AndyMo on October 24, 2013, 08:37:53 PM
Hi Jman....

I can see the need for a card mod. I haven't added any new files over and above what was included on the module and it's pretty full. As you say, I'll have to temporarily remove files, etc., to try out the Synth kits, etc.

When I purchased the module last year, I was surprised it includes support for USB 1 and wondered if it might be slow. It certainly is when attempting a full backup. Still backing up, so playing around with the Synth kits will probably have to wait for another day...

However, during the backup I started listening to various demos people have added to the forum. The 2box recordings are excellent and demonstrate what a flexible and powerful system it is.

Thanks again for your advice!

Andy
Yeah, besides the extra room you get on the larger card, once the card extender mod is done you no longer access the module via the USB. You simply take the SD card and use your card with an SD card reader through the computer for all the file transfers, OS updates, using the 2Box Editor, etc. And card readers are USB 2. So things go much faster.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

AndyMo

Thanks Jman - I loaded the Synth kits and they work a treat. Next step is to learn how to start creating my own kits :-)

Thanks!
Andy