News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

How to increase Bell volume ?

Started by yzf125, October 16, 2013, 03:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yzf125

Hey guys got another question, Is there a way in increase the bell volume on the ride ? I am using the Yamaha PCY 155 and it seems to work great just very low bell volume. I cant seem to find bell volume it self for an adjustment. Could someone point me in the right direction !

Thanks, Rick

Jman

Quote from: yzf125 on October 16, 2013, 03:08:47 PM
Hey guys got another question, Is there a way in increase the bell volume on the ride ? I am using the Yamaha PCY 155 and it seems to work great just very low bell volume. I cant seem to find bell volume it self for an adjustment. Could someone point me in the right direction !

Thanks, Rick

There is a Low, Med, and High setting for the bell: From the manual:

Set GAIN so that exactly all LED-meter segments are lit when you hit the hardest (see above). You have an adjustment range from +1 to +24 dB. With a GAIN value higher +12 dB the THRES value is automatically set to -36 to avoid double triggers.
The drum channels CYMB1-3 have an additional GAIN parameter for the bell signal.
First, set the GAIN value (number) for the zone “bow” so that the hardest stroke triggers no bell sound. Then you can press the DATA knob to adjust the GAIN value for the zone “cup”.

That applies to 2Box cymbal settings in general. Since you are using a PCY-155 you should look at Manfred's thread about using those with the 2Box module:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1010.0

Besides those points the actual cymbal dsnds vary between how loud the Bell sounds are from cymbal to cymbal. This is with the 2Box dsnds and also applies to dsnds that are created from VST softwares. When you get into building your own dsnds you will notice this between different packs and different cymbals within packs. Some have very loud bell sounds some more subdued. It is a whole other subject as far as adjusting independent articulation volumes in the software recordings to suit your own taste. DSoundTool also has adjustment for the volume of each articulation within a cymbal dsnd and is easy to use to modify the levels and adjust to your preference.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/