News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

So I played the kit with my band last night ...

Started by puttenvr, December 22, 2009, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

A year ago our band decided to use in ear monitoring, exclusively. The reason for that was that we wanted to have a good monitoring and a constant sound in our practice room and on stage. We were tired of long sound checks and dealing with various sound systems on different venues (cafe, hall, outdoor) which always affected the monitor sound and the way we experienced music.

It was a big conversion. We invested in good in ear monitors (IEM), wireless and wired transmitters/recievers and a good monitor mixing desk to feed our IEM, and to pass all instruments to the Front Of House system. That system should be able to handle the entire band sound, inlcuding (in those days) acoustic drums.

The next step was a clean stage without any sound sources. After some discussion and hesitation our guitar players agreed to leave their amplifiers and loudspeakers and switch to Line6 modellers. A big plus. From now on my drumkit was the only noise maker on stage. With all problems, entails. In various venues the drums were always way too loud as a result I needed to play low-key. The cymbals resounded into the singers' microphones, incl my headset. I still had to deal with different sound guys, sound systems, microphones, etc

Last month our guitar player left the band and we lost our practice room. We decided to built our our own little rehearsal boot inside a house, as a result of which I was forced to play e-drums. Not a pain, I noticed yesterday.

The first impressions with the 2Box is very, very good. All our band members were impressed by the ''acoustic'' sound and were able to hear my kick very clear. I noticed that my number 1 tomtoms (recording toms) sounded very good into my IEM but that my number 2 tom toms (maple toms) had more cut through in the band sound. Same for the Nashville snare who was slightly drier in a song than the Slingerland snare (which blended very well with our music).

The drumrack stood perfectly. There only was a little swing on one of the tom arms, but not annoying. One last wish to be left: more cymbal pads please. After playing the whole night on only 1 ride and 1 crash that crash sound bored me. I like to add 2 more cymbals. So, please when are these parts available?

Thinking of it now, I am sure that I will use the  :patbat2box: live on stage as well. Perhaps with acoustic cymbals on large venues (don't know why, perhaps just for the sake of the looks) but I will sell my acoustic drumkit for sure.

Happy Easter to you all  :rock:

UC

not much I can say but w00t! it's good to hear the kit is working well 'in the wild' :)

As for extra sounds, I've found that a DD4 cymbal, while not perfect, is okay to assign a crash/splash/china to with the gain at minimum - to start with it played permanently choked, until I went into the menu and turned choke off, and restarted the brain...it triggers a full volume hit in the centre, and bit of 'ride' edge on the bottom left...strange, but you can get used to it :) ...and the toms work fine except there's no rim trigger.

Happy Diwali to you too :)

boekhour

Congrat puttenvr. Good to hear this kit is a good alternative fur the real drum stuff. I've had the same experience with acoustic drums, the drum is always too loud, in the practice room, and in the cafe..

So you want to buy more cymbals? Come 2box, please make more kits and let all those chinese hands work a lot! ! If you make 1000 2boxes I think they are sold within a month or less! The momentum is here so take your change.

Steve

I am sure some guys want a module only, everyone wants another tom amd more cymbals. The sum of the parts might be greater than the whole. If I was a store I would break it up - lots of racks though

nonoduweb

Hi puttenvr,

could you tell me what is your in ear monitoring system? Doe the kit sound good with?

For my part I tried the kit with my band; it was great but we don't have a good sound system.

puttenvr