How do I set up my module to work with my SD2 Software on a MacBook Pro?

Started by Dr.Skins, July 19, 2013, 01:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Skins

Hi I need a really thorough walkthrough on setting up my drumit5 module with my macbook pro which has Superior drummer 2.0 on it which will be run on toontrack solo. I have this usb to midi cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACGMOA6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just want to trigger the SD2 sounds through my module so that I can play them on my AE kit thanks in advance for any and all help. ;D

tower of p

make sure you plug the midi-usb-cable to the brain in the right way: cable "in" to brain "midi out". that was the mistake I made to start with.
can give more help later, no time right now, sorry.

br
lutz

tower of p

Ok then, let´s see.

I´ll use Garageband, hope that´s ok, too.

My 2box drumit five has
3 toms (brain nuts: tom 1-3)
2 crashes (cymb 1, cymb 3)
1 ride (cymb 2)
1 china (tom 4)

and of course snare, kick, hihat.

here we go:

1. Open Garageband (6.0.5 in my case)

and start a new project. Call it "SD2 preset" or sth alike

2. double click the software-instrument track ("piano") to see the info-area (right hand side of the GB-window)

3. click "software instrument" and "edit" ("bearbeiten" on my screencap)

4. click on the "sound-generator"- dropdown-menu

and chose "superior drummer". It should be shown if you installed sd2 correctly.

5. click on the sound-generator-icon

now, sd2 should open and look something like this:

6. make it look like this in sd2´s "construct"-window (it´s made for my setup, but you can change things later if you have to):

how to: choose "none" in the drum´s or cymbal´s dropdown menues if they shall NOT be shown, choose a sound you like on the others. for example:

7.go to sd2´s "mapping" window

8. Now, please download this file called "2boxLutz". It´s a midimapping for 2box drumit5.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/88m7qd7fovy6bmv/2boxLutz

9. after downloading the file, put it here on your mac:
/users/*username*/Library/Application Support/Toontrack/Superior2/MidiPresets
IMPORTANT: "Library" is a HIDDEN folder, so you can´t find it in Finder. Here you find info on how to make it seen  (and hide it again) using the terminal:
http://www.mikesel.info/show-hidden-files-mac-os-x-10-7-lion/

OR

in sd2´s mapping-window click on "presets"-"midi"-"manage in finder" and copy the file in the window that opens. should work as well.

10. Now, you should find the MidiPreset right in SD2´s mapping-window:

11. connect your 2box-brain with your mac using the midi-usb-cable (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ACGMOA6/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
IMPORTANT:
the cable that says "IN" has to be plugged to the brain´s "MIDI OUT"
the cable that says "OUT" has to be plugged to the brain´s "MIDI IN"

12. to hear what you are playing on your headphones, connect the output of your mac´s soundcard with the brain´s "line in" (if you use the internal soundcard of your macbook, you will need this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_20013_15.htm)
plug the mini jack to the headphones-out of your mac and the 6.3mm jack to the line in of the 2box-brain.

13. check the line in-volume on the 2box-brain:
press unit
press the right hand knob under the brain´s screen
set "L" (for Line In) - volume.

14. In the drumit five-brain, you should turn off the internal sounds now. Otherwise, you will hear both, the internal sounds and the sd2-sounds.
therefore press "unit", select "midi" (7steps down) and press the button above "local" (must be "off", meaning the internal 2box-sounds are turned off. don´t forget to turn it on again when you want to play internal sounds again!!)

put on your headphones, sit down behind you kit and HAVE FUN!

hope it works!

good luck,
Lutz

PS:
the mapping is made for the "avatar"-soundbank. it should work, if you have made no changes in the brain´s internal routing and also in the brain´s internal mapping.

Dr.Skins

Thank you very much for all your hard work I really appreciate it.  ;D

tower of p

you´re welcome. I really benefited from many peoples work on this forum, so why don´t give a little bit back.
I´m curious if it works. Pls let me know!

welshsteve

Hi,
I am trying to follow your steps, but I got stuck on the mapping section. I downloaded your mapping file but couldn't find a Toontrack folder in Application support to insert it, and the other way I tried that you suggested I found the "manage in finder" option greyed out.
I could spend the time to map myself but it seems quite complicated. The hat functions only lets me adjust a single note, not one for all the different zones etc. I assume I can go to every voice in SD and give them a note to which will correspond with the one generated via the hi hat, what else should I look for?
Thanks in advance.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

tower of p

Quote from: welshsteve on May 08, 2015, 11:44:46 AM
Hi,
I am trying to follow your steps, but I got stuck on the mapping section. I downloaded your mapping file but couldn't find a Toontrack folder in Application support to insert it, and the other way I tried that you suggested I found the "manage in finder" option greyed out.
I could spend the time to map myself but it seems quite complicated. The hat functions only lets me adjust a single note, not one for all the different zones etc. I assume I can go to every voice in SD and give them a note to which will correspond with the one generated via the hi hat, what else should I look for?
Thanks in advance.

Hi!
Have you been looking in "username/library/application support"? this library is a hidden folder, you must make it visible first (easiest way is to use an app called "tinker tool").

otherwise I have no clue, sorry!  ;D

cheers!
Lutz

fishmonkey

Quote from: tower of p on May 17, 2015, 10:55:09 PM
Hi!
Have you been looking in "username/library/application support"? this library is a hidden folder, you must make it visible first (easiest way is to use an app called "tinker tool").

otherwise I have no clue, sorry!  ;D

cheers!
Lutz

when in the Finder, hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu. your user library will then automagically appear...

tower of p

Quote from: fishmonkey on May 18, 2015, 12:16:14 AM
when in the Finder, hold down the Option key and click on the Go menu. your user library will then automagically appear...

Great shortcut, thanks!

welshsteve

Hi,

I have ALMOST sorted it (at least got it to a point where it's usable) I have top (open to close) edge (open to close) hats and foot press. Just need to map foot splashes now and it's there.

Because the drumit 5 brain only gives and option to move a centred note on the hats, I simply went into the mapping section of Superior drummer, found the sound I wanted (e.g. top hat) selected it by I think holding down cmd (on mac) and changed the note of it to the note that I wanted it to correspond. There's a learn function but whenever I tried that, it would ignore the control change of the hi hat opening from open to closed. But just changing the midi note worked.

In my case, the edge and top were the other way around. So Top was playing edge and vise versa. Just chaining them around worked.

I didn't mess too long to figure out the foot splash function. If anyone knows how to do this it would save me time. Perhaps it's an aftertouch control send I need to assign?

Another niggle is choke on cymbals, but I'll leave that for the minute.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!