News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Best acoustic drum conversion suggestions?

Started by StudioG4, July 10, 2013, 01:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioG4

If money was not an issue, what would you all recommend as the best triggering method for an acoustic drum conversion? I'm currently using a Yamaha recording custom kit with Hart dynamic mesh heads, 8"10"12" and 14" toms, Hart dynamics Acusnare, remo muffle rings and ddrum redshot triggers. I get reasonable results but, is there a better alternative? I gig regularly and am willing to invest in the best possible (within reason). Many thanks.
Tony G

digitalDrummer

digitalDrummer has extensively reviewed both internal and external trigger solutions. Check those out and think about what you're prepared to spend, how important it is to leave the donor shells intact and whether you need single or dual zones. Also note the the enhanced 2box trigger settings mean that some of the difficulties experienced in our initial testing have now been overcome and virtually any trigger can now be dialled in for the 2box.

Devious123

My drummer hated, and used the redshot triggers many years back. He couldn't get good results that were consistent enough, so he gave up on the hybrid drum set. Last year i wanted to go back to recording using a triggered drum set, but i couldn't get him to go for it. He just wouldn't have anything to do with the miss triggering, and the fact now he does a lot of ghost note technique a lot mthese days. This didn't help, cause he didn't see he a solution that could work for fast drums, and dynamic drums, that would work. I decided that i wanted to try out a full electronic kit, and i bought the onhead for the toms, and snare, and set up a full set, that included ecymbals. I just finished the kit, and says it's the best e drum set he ever has used. We also converted a kick drum, and put a snare in the center, so we could mount, a inhead (onhead eventually), so we could see how well the tech worked for kicks, despite the fact they don't actually have a fsr kick available yet. It works fine, great actually. Now all we need to do is see how durable the inhead is on the kick.

fulrmr

I agree with Allan here(digitalDrummer) great source. That said....I've built many kick conversions of many sizes and even used metal snares as donors. Never had a triggering problem with any of them and all were built using Quartz Percussion cone/triggers and parts. Very inexpensive and extremely consistent and reliable. A kick build is by far the simplest conversion project to embark on...especially with the conversion friendly 2Box module. ;)

digitalDrummer

By the way, to make it easier, we have compiled all our trigger tests - internal, external and aux into a single download.
You can find it here:
https://www.distribly.com/product/2004?aid=18353
Allan