News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Double triggering the double ply mesh heads

Started by Haggis-man, May 30, 2013, 10:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis-man

Hey guys,

I recently bought one of Wronka's triggers to put inside an acoustic snare I was modifying along with a 682 double ply mesh head.
Initially I had issues with double triggering on medium to hard hits and after talking with Jorg at Wronka I used his suggested settings and all seemed well.

After a while though I started to notice that I was getting double triggering again when only playing very light notes. Again I tried tweaking various settings but I could not get rid of it. Then it dawned on me that the Wronka trigger is almost exactly the same as the 2box trigger, and that it might actually be the double ply mesh that's the problem since all my 2box pads are single mesh.

Anyway I decided to buy a cheap single ply (Tdrum) to try this theory out, and guess what? no more double triggering! I even put the settings back to where they were for the 2box snare and the acoustic snare is now triggering perfectly!

I'm guessing that with the double ply that the layers are hitting against each other causing false triggering? it's the only thing I can think of.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with double ply? anyone had these kind of issues with triple ply heads?

Cheers!

tower of p

Hdy Brian,

I agree, most likely the "second" ply is rebouncing against the "first", and that´s what might cause the double-triggering. Have you tried "tuning" the meshhead higher (crank it all the way up...;)? it should reduce the double triggering if the theory is right.

I put a 682 on my 2box-stock-Snarepad a few weeks ago. What I noticed is that it triggers less sensitive on silent hits than a singleply mesh.
But no double triggering so far.

Best,
Lutz

Haggis-man

Hi Lutz,

Yes I tightened the head right up, but 1 out of every 3 or 4 light hits were still double triggering. I have to say though the Tdrum heads are really nice and play just like the 2box heads.

Cheers

Nico

Hi,

I had similar issue after moving the center trigger to the side of my Diamond drums.
Only bigger pads (12 and 14 inch) were effected. Adjusting the tension of the 2-ply heads did help but muffling the head did seem to solve the problem. I just placed a small piece of foam in the center under the head where the original trigger position was. Maybe a muffler ring control under the head will do.
I prefer double ply mesh, too much rebound on single ply mesh for me.

Haggis-man

Quote from: Nico on May 30, 2013, 09:05:32 PM
Hi,

I had similar issue after moving the center trigger to the side of my Diamond drums.
Only bigger pads (12 and 14 inch) were effected. Adjusting the tension of the 2-ply heads did help but muffling the head did seem to solve the problem. I just placed a small piece of foam in the center under the head where the original trigger position was. Maybe a muffler ring control under the head will do.
I prefer double ply mesh, too much rebound on single ply mesh for me.

Hi Nico,

Yes my snare is a 13" so that's not going to help the issue. I never thought about muffling the head. How did you hold the foam in place?

Cheers

Nico

Hi Brian,

Diamond drums have a large disc inside where trigger is mounted. I simply put it on there with some tape to test, will see if it holds. The foam raise about 1-2 mm above shell. I first wanted to try a remo muffling control ring inside but my local shop didn't have them in stock. I believe original 2box pads also come with a foam ring.

Cheers

Haggis-man

Quote from: Nico on May 31, 2013, 09:41:46 AM
Hi Brian,

Diamond drums have a large disc inside where trigger is mounted. I simply put it on there with some tape to test, will see if it holds. The foam raise about 1-2 mm above shell. I first wanted to try a remo muffling control ring inside but my local shop didn't have them in stock. I believe original 2box pads also come with a foam ring.

Cheers

Ah yes, the foam ring inside, I forgot about that. That maybe something else to try as I have no way of placing foam in the middle unless a fitted a crossbar.

Cheers

Nico

You may need to cut the ring if that is possible because your Wronka trigger will be in the way.
I remember 30 years ago, the remo rings were just a simple foam ring attached to the head with adhesive tape but nowadays they fit in a plastic tray between head and bearing edge.

Haggis-man

Thanks for the info Nico, much appreciated.

Nico

Quote from: Brian-D on June 01, 2013, 07:47:30 AM
Thanks for the info Nico, much appreciated.
Anytime mate. Hope you can solve it. Those Wronka triggers look good btw.

Cheers

edtc

Muffling the meshhead with foam is the solution to avoid multiple triggering ... i ve tested the REMO muffle , it works , but the problem is that the plastic where the foam sits , causes a lot of noize .

it s much beter to make some solid and hard support  and put some foam on it... you can do it with some MDF wood , and one or 2 L shape metal screwed on one lug ...  it s cheap and silent ...

Haggis-man

Cheers edtc, that's kind of what I was thinking I would need to do.

fulrmr

Quote from: edtc on June 03, 2013, 10:17:33 PM
Muffling the meshhead with foam is the solution to avoid multiple triggering ... i ve tested the REMO muffle , it works , but the problem is that the plastic where the foam sits , causes a lot of noize .

Hmmm....Interesting you say this......I've never experienced this on any of my builds using the rings...or the disks.