News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Any hot tips for 2Box pad rim trigger repairs?

Started by fishmonkey, May 14, 2013, 01:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmonkey

the 2Box rim triggers continue to give me grief.

i like to use my rim triggers a fair bit, and the system really doesn't hold up well.

my latest problem is with my snare pad. a while back the channeled rubber absorbing strip that sits on the underside of the rim trigger split. it's the kind of problem you don't notice for a while until you do a careful inspection of the pads. i think as a result of the damaged absorbing strip the rim trigger was allowed to move downwards more than it should, which has caused one of the wires to become detached from the small rim trigger piezo. and i think the rubber strip split because one of the o-rings had died.

first question: has anybody successfully redone the connections of one of those small piezos? the piezo is only about 11mm diameter, and the connection side is stuck to a foam cylinder, and it looks tricky to remove without destroying the foam. i guess i can make a replacement for that too if necessary.

second question: does anybody know of any suitable DIY replacement for the rubber strip? i wonder if it's a standard moulding of some kind, or if 2Box had them done specifically for the kit? i've had a bit of a look around but haven't found anything identical yet.

sadly i haven't been having much luck getting spare parts here in Australia, after many emails and months.

btw, it's a good idea to check your o-rings regularly, because broken o-rings increase the chance of other damage to the rim trigger system...

digitalDrummer

Have you tried Australis, the distributor. If you're not having any luck, shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch with the product manager.

fishmonkey

yep, i tried them first but never got a reply. then i dried through the drum store that i originally bought the kit from, but after nearly two months they haven't got anywhere either.

so now i'm using my third tom as a snare...

fishmonkey

so in the end the new Australian distributor came through with the goods and replaced all my broken bits under warranty, which is great.

not so great is i just discovered that the rim trigger of the tom pad i have been using as a snare pad is now broken. two of the little plastic o-ring hooks have broken off.

aaaaaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!

as much as i love my 2 Box kit, the floating rim triggers really are a flimsy (let's face it: crappy) design. why would you use tiny little plastic molded hooks and o-rings on a drum???

fishmonkey

looking at the broken rim trigger some more, it looks like the soft rubber strip is supposed to be glued right around the hard black plastic hoop. i think what has happened is that the rubber strip has come unstuck around the area where i hit it the most.

once the soft rubber is loose the whole assembly can move around too much, which puts extra pressure on the o-rings and those little hooks. likewise the assembly can also move around more if an o-ring breaks, which soon causes more problems.

i really think they should change the design so that the system doesn't rely on o-rings and little plastic hooks. it's badly engineered.

joeysculla

Sorry for bumping an old thread - but have just replaced the o-rings of all pads / hoops with a similar sized green o-ring you can pick up from pretty much any auto store. And - built for use in a car, these are holding up really well!

Highly recommended.