News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

hi hat semi-open sound & headphones low volume

Started by supr4phon1c, May 01, 2013, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supr4phon1c

hi guys,

my name is matteo and i'm new here.
i've recently bought a hybrid kit + 2 module and i'm struggling with settings, specially the hi hat.

there's a lot of information about how to set the hi hat properly and even if if i did it step by step i still have problems with it
i can't get a nice semi open sound. it seems that the range of sounds goes from closed to open very fast

also i have problems to achieve a nice "chick" sound when i play it with my foot.....

last but no least the headphones volume is very low. i know problems should be solved updating the OS, in fact I did, but nothing changes.....

I would higly appreciate any help

supr4phon1c

39 views & no replies?!?

:(

no ideas on how to fix that problems?

Murgen

Well, as far as my knowledge goes there are several topics on hihat's on this forum. Regarding the headphone level I cannot help out, I listen via a mixer with a default headset and no issues.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

What kind of HH stand are  you using. The better HH stand (read strong adjustable spring)usually  the better the control and response when set up properly. :)

As far as volume....can't help you there...mine sounds fine.

espen

Quote from: supr4phon1c on May 01, 2013, 05:47:27 PM
hi guys,

my name is matteo and i'm new here.
i've recently bought a hybrid kit + 2 module and i'm struggling with settings, specially the hi hat.

there's a lot of information about how to set the hi hat properly and even if if i did it step by step i still have problems with it
i can't get a nice semi open sound. it seems that the range of sounds goes from closed to open very fast

also i have problems to achieve a nice "chick" sound when i play it with my foot.....

last but no least the headphones volume is very low. i know problems should be solved updating the OS, in fact I did, but nothing changes.....

I would higly appreciate any help

The stock hihats don't have too many semi-open stages. Only two or three as an average. I strongly recommend Voxengo AcuDrums 14" hihat: http://www.voxengo.com/product/acudrums_hh14_sb_hh_r/
You get straight wav. files and even 7 semi-open stages. It's 15$ but worth it IMO. The best one I've played with my 2Box.

The problem with the low volume could be too high impedance of your headphones. Which one you are using?

supr4phon1c

hi to everyone and thanks for your answers  :)

I use an old pearl stand, drums & module cost me an arm & a leg so I had to keep that old one. Probably a GIBRALTAR would already fix the issue but i have no money so far....

Regarding headphones I used AKG K77 and now I've switched to BOSE QC15 and it works better but i have to keep the knob at 2 p.m.

Murgen

Just a quick add-on. I have been told the 2box hihat detects four modes. open, closed and 2 points in between. An old stand should not be an issue ... if it has spring tension crank it up, 2box hats play better (have a better respons) on a high tension and control.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

I do agree that you will want a HH stand with a firm spring. Also as mentioned an actual Hi Hat .dsnd sound file that has plenty of transitions helps. Here is a test file ... the 2Box module with Hi Hat can read 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 actual Closed to Open levels. Just drag it into your module, assign that as your Hi Hat sound to test:
https://files.secureserver.net/0swsixZfGbs2xD
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

supr4phon1c

hi again guys

Jman i will try to do it this week end.
i'll let you know how things go on

thanks

supr4phon1c

hi guys
i did the sound test and i can play 0-6-10 more or less. sometimes 7 o 5 but never 0-1-2-3...etc
of course if i open the hi hat veeeery slowly then you can hear from 0 to 10 but it's not natural to play that way

Jman

Yes, the only way you are going to hear all the numbers is very slowly. So, you have no problem with the 2Box cymbal or module. Take the suggestions above on a good stand, and I can't say which 2Box HH sounds are best for having lots of semi Open layers, I don't play the stock sounds much. But maybe someone else can chime in. I do know that those of us that have buillt our own dsnds from VST software have lots of transitions on HHs ...

supr4phon1c

thanks Jman. It's good to know that module and hat run properly  :)

concerning VST which one has the best library sound base on your taste/experience? I can't buy all of them........ :)

Jman

Quote from: supr4phon1c on May 05, 2013, 08:24:38 AM
thanks Jman. It's good to know that module and hat run properly  :)

concerning VST which one has the best library sound base on your taste/experience? I can't buy all of them........ :)
Superior Drummer 2 has Bow and Edge Tight and Closed, plus 5 open transitions. Since it is the Semi Open transition that you are specifically having a hard time playing consistently another thing that you can do is take an existing Hi Hat dsnd Split that file with DsoundTool. Then build a new HH dsnd with Dsoundtool or the 2Box Editor. When building the new Hi Hat you can duplicate the semi open transitions creating more semi open levels in the middle.... that way it should be easier to play those transitions more consistently. For that matter you can create HHs that have nothing but closed and semi open transitions, or HHs that only are semi open .... a lot you can do actually. Here is the 2Box Evolution 14 with twice as many 25% and 50% open transitions. I built it splitting the orig 2Box dsnd with Dsoundtool then using the split Wav files in 2Box Editor to rebuild it. I'll leave that up on my space to download and try out:
https://files.secureserver.net/0sSSG7DEICV1qP

supr4phon1c

thanks Jman for your help!

this hat sounds cool, easier to achieve a semi open sound  :rock:

also a better stand would help. things will get better with a little patience

stickcharmer

I too have issues with the headphone volume. I used to keep it at about 10 or 11 and now I'm finding that I need to have it at the 1 or 2 spot. I know one of my girlfriends kids was playing on it a while back and afterwords I noticed that the volume was much lower than normal. I have tweaked with the settings and it's not really doing much. Strange....