Non destructive HH Box Mod using Original 2Box HH parts *PICS ADDED!

Started by fulrmr, February 18, 2013, 03:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulrmr

Since Manfred will most likely not be building any more boards for lack of sufficient interest to merit investment.......I built this 2Box/VH-13 Hybrid HH box of sorts. Since I have both the DrumIt5 and the TD-30 and my current  project involves triggering them both simultaneously it was key to have the hats function as well as the pads I have built for this project....and all I had  was the Factory hats I bought with my module.

I used the stock housing, board and magnet from my factory hats(and few other parts of course) and if I should choose...they all will all go back together and function exactly like it just  came out of the box....and look that way too.

I used a splitter on my VH-13 to utilize the top hat for triggering and mounted my box to the pedal of my DW9502LB HH remote. The result is simultaneous triggering of the hats in full range of sounds from both the DrumIt5 and the TD-30.

There are lots of pics and descriptions that are posted in this  thread at the vdrums.comforum if anyone is interested.

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?71888-VH-13-2Box-Hybrid-Remote-HH-Conversion

Thanks for looking.

roel

Quote from: fulrmr on February 18, 2013, 03:35:02 AM
Since Manfred will most likely not be building any more boards for lack of sufficient interest to merit investment.......I built this 2Box/VH-13 Hybrid HH box of sorts. Since I have both the DrumIt5 and the TD-30 and my current  project involves triggering them both simultaneously it was key to have the hats function as well as the pads I have built for this project....and all I had  was the Factory hats I bought with my module.

I used the stock housing, board and magnet from my factory hats(and few other parts of course) and if I should choose...they all will all go back together and function exactly like it just  came out of the box....and look that way too.

I used a splitter on my VH-13 to utilize the top hat for triggering and mounted my box to the pedal of my DW9502LB HH remote. The result is simultaneous triggering of the hats in full range of sounds from both the DrumIt5 and the TD-30.

There are lots of pics and descriptions that are posted in this  thread at the vdrums.comforum if anyone is interested.

http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?71888-VH-13-2Box-Hybrid-Remote-HH-Conversion

Thanks for looking.

Can you post those photo's in this post. I can not see those photo's on vdrum.com.

fulrmr

Quote from: roel on February 18, 2013, 05:03:30 PM
Can you post those photo's in this post. I can not see those photo's on vdrum.com.

EDIT: PICS ADDED!!!

Adding them here was much easier than anticipated.  :-[  ;)

fulrmr

Ok...had some time so i though I would try to copy this build from V-Drums to here. Looks like it worked. :)

Quote from: fulrmr(Daniel);609763Well...in the spirit of my last "remote conversion" http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?59805-Remotely-Centered/page2 using an FD-7 and DW remote and keeping the "non-evasive" theme...I have built one for my 2Box module...and utilized my VH-13 "top" cymbal. This hybrid controller simultaneously functions as working hats for both the TD-30 and 2Box modules.

I laid out a few ideas in this thread.... http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?71856-2Box-HH-Control-Box-Mod-Questions ... and decided to go with the stock 2Box housing and do the "Mod" around it. I also used parts I already had laying around from previous projects to keep the cost down. This includes a small project box that I actually cut down to mount to the 2Box housing. However let me say that you do not need a "special" project box for this or any DIY project. A project box can literally be anything that works to house your electronics. I have used a pill bottle to mount a piezo and jack into for a splash build..so just use your imagination.  http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?59267-Jacked-Up-on-Pill-Bottle-Triggered-Reaction/page3

There will be several posts as I have lots of pics....

So.....on with the build.....

After peeling off the rubber cover, unscrewing the housing and removing it from the metal cymbal...this is what you are left with.

2 wires go to the piezo and 2 go to the "metal" switch (which BTW covers the whole top of the cymbal)

I labled and snipped the wires for easy slicing if I should ever want to ptu the factory hat back together.

cont......

[ATTACH]25063[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25064[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25065[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25066[/ATTACH]

fulrmr

Quote from: fulrmr(Daniel);609766Ok..you'll see a foam base attached to the bottom of the housing to replace the factory foam and to protect and raise the the whole housing to the correct position in the pedal. I used a scrap of puzzle piece floor mat for pay rooms and gyms. It's a fit firmer than the stock foam but  is easily shaped and works just fine.

I used a Sharpie to color it black and shaped it with a razor blade and a bench grinder to smooth it out. These next few shots are "dry fits" to see where everything needs to be positioned

Here is the stock magnet housing which I will use for my build also(saves trying to find appropriate size/strength magnets for the build too) sitting in the FSR housing. Besides.....using everything from the 2Box hats means, that if built correctly, it should function just like the original.

You can see in this pic that something needs to be under the back to support the controller better. I address this in the next post.

cont........

[ATTACH]25067[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25068[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25069[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25070[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25071[/ATTACH]

fulrmr

Quote from: fulrmr(Daniel);609770Here are the pieces of the housing assembly. You can see that I have "dremeled" out a trough in the foam for the wiring to sit in as it travels from the PBC to the new jack. You can also see the project box that I contoured with rotary tool also to give it a neater look. There is also a "protective" sheet made from a clear mylar head...not really necessary as the there was not one on the factory build...but I did it any. Besides it helped me transfer the "cavity" measurements for the PBC and trough for the wiring to the foam.

Here...everything is all spiced, soldered, and wired. See this thread for details for the wiring and build in general.... http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?69213-2Box-HH-DIY-The-Mystery-Solved

NOTE: Do yourself a favor and make sure your wires are sufficiently long enough. Mine were a bit short and were a hassle to tin, splice and solder in position. I used a bit of hot glue and heat shrink for the various connections to keep them secure.

Also...you can see that I used KRT (Killer Red Tape) for the mounting process of the foam and mylar protector sheet.

Finished housing. Oh...along with being held on to the stock housing with the PBC jack....the project box also has KRT on the underside attaching it to the top of the Factory housing. It's very secure.
[IMG]http:

fulrmr

Quote from: fulrmr(Daniel);609771Alrighty....The finished controller mounted in the pedal.

Plenty of room to access the jacks and attach the cables

On the kit....

Cont.....
[ATTACH]25077[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25078[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25079[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25080[/ATTACH][ATTACH]25081[/ATTACH]

fulrmr

Quote from: fulrmr(Daniel);609773OK...last one.....

Sneek prieview of the hot mess my Monster has been reduced too during this project. As you can see...the VH-13 is indeed the hats I am using with this conversion. Both hats, once calibrated and dialed in, function great. Also you can see the 2Box and TD-30 side-by-side under my "plexi stick guard" and a new Roc-N-Soc seat on my DrumFrame Throne.....and the pads that also function simultaneously with both modules from this  thread...... http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?70031-2Box-Vs-TD30-Vs-Pans-Heaven-or-Hell/page2

well...that's enough for *now. ;)

I will be adding 2 more toms(12") for a total of 6 to  the kit (these are already complete). Just need to find some time and money to  cmplete this project by adding another module or 2 and a cymbal solution. :)

edtc

Quote from: fulrmr on March 03, 2013, 10:02:25 PM
Ok...had some time so i though I would try to copy this build from V-Drums to here. Looks like it worked. :)

looks like not.....

fulrmr

edtc

no i cant.... maybe because i m not part of Vdrum forum ...

Haggis-man

pro424

I can't see them either. I think you have to be a member and signed in on vdrum forum to see them.

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Hmmm...strange. :o Kinda sucks.  ::) Oh well...I tried. ;) It's easier for y'all to sign up over there than for me to try and re do all these. It's free and only takes a minute. :)