News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi hat coming loose on rod

Started by wanabe, February 17, 2013, 08:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanabe

My 2box hi hat, which is secured on a standard hi hat stand, keeps coming loose and I can not tighten the 2box drum key, which secures the cymbal on the rod, any tighter. So the cymbal becomes loose and then the rod slides inside the cymbal hole when you press the hi hat pedal without lifting the cymbal.

Anyone have similar problems and any solution?

Thanks

Murgen

Prolly the wingnut/bolt is wrongly inserted. Reverse it and then the wingnut will lock your hihat as tight as you want.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

tower of p

Do I understand right, you don´t use the 2box hihat stand?

I had the same problem. Fixed it by putting the 2box rod (the one that holds the cymbal) to my hihat stand (Pearl). I was glad the winding matched, I hope yours does, too!

If you need any further advice, I´ll be glad to help!

Cheers,
Lutz

wanabe

Yes I have a standard hi hat stand with the 2box hi hat cymbal. At first I made the mistake of having the nut the wrong way round and could not secure the cymbal on the rod at all. The forums answered that one but I am surprised the manuals do not show how the nut should be inserted!

Now I have the nut in the other side and I can tighten the nut to the rod but it does not hold and sometimes the rod slips, leaving the hi hat cymbal unmoved when you press the pedal. The 2box key is turned to its maximum so I am still a bit lost as to why it will not old the rod tightly.

Perhaps a video or series of photos could show how it is done but I have not found any when I have searched. Is there a build video that I have missed or am I just being thick?

Murgen

--------

tower of p

Quote from: wanabe on February 19, 2013, 08:25:34 PM
Yes I have a standard hi hat stand with the 2box hi hat cymbal.
Now I have the nut in the other side and I can tighten the nut to the rod but it does not hold and sometimes the rod slips...

Maybe my above post was not clear enough.

I think, the problem is, that the original 2box-hihatstand has a "roughened" rod to fix the cymbal (look at page 15 of the manual murgen posted, there you see what I mean)
Maybe your standard-Hihatstand´s rod is NOT rough, but smooth and plane, so that the 2box clutch cannot be tightened strong enough.

You can unscrew the rod (the rough one) of the 2box-HH-Stand (in case you own one) and replace the rod at your Hihat-Stand with it.

wanabe

I have noticed in pictures that the 2box hi hat rod is grooved and mine, as with standard rods is smooth, but not owning the 2box rod, I have no other options.

Murgen

I use a smooth rod (in fact, I used 2 of those, Drumcraft and Pearl) and no issues. Is that a regular hihat standard of a cheaper one (my first kit was a cheap Peace with a thinner rod)?
--------

wanabe

Had a closer look at the nut. The bolt part that you screw in does not pass into the opening that the rod slides vertically through so the bolt never touches the rod and only appears to tighten the  hexagonal nut by pulling it across as you tighten. This seems a poor design to me and prone to issues if the rod in your hi hat stand is thin. Have reset it and tightened it as much as I can

Travis182

Wanabe you have definitely 100% put the hexagonal bolt into the hi-hat hexagonal slot so the bolt screw goes through the hole?. Because even if you have a thin hi-hat rod it should tighten it.

wanabe

Yes I think so - you mean the screw part goes into the hole only big enough for the screw thread to fit?

tower of p

Quote from: wanabe on February 22, 2013, 05:42:42 PM
Yes I think so - you mean the screw part goes into the hole only big enough for the screw thread to fit?

look here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0mn1zm3xq66ol91/20130222_192349.jpg

and here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzhsgfnv263ecq3/20130222_192520.jpg

Edit:

and this is as tight as it gets with my hihat:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jsvnc6qmgch1sz/20130222_192429.jpg

(I can´t manage to insert the pictures here, sorry... :-[)

wanabe

Yes thanks for the photos, that is how I have it with the threaded end inserted through the narrower hole and the hexagonal piece in the matching hole. It seems a strange design that he screw in piece does not pass through the hexagonal Bolt and onto the rod directly but screwing in only pulls the rod over to one side. There is also no picture or direction in the manual with regard to the hi hat setup on the. rod.