News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box wishlist...

Started by spoenk, December 15, 2009, 10:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

I always thought the FSR trigger, which is laying inside the rim and surrounds the pads is the driving force behing Roland's positional sensing. Never heard of any patent wave length theory

HM

Quote from: puttenvr on January 20, 2010, 08:17:48 PM
I always thought the FSR trigger, which is laying inside the rim and surrounds the pads is the driving force behing Roland's positional sensing. Never heard of any patent wave length theory
If I understood the patent correct just by quickly looking at the pictures, the period of the first half-wave of vibration detected by the sensor inside the rim varies depending on where you hit. If you hit the pad to the middle, the first half-wave lasts longer than when you hit near the rim. This sounds quite credible to me (I'm an undergraduate physics student). So this has something to do with wave lengths, at least periods. Then there is some signal processing to find out the period of the first half-wave and to compensate for different tunings of the mesh head.

The signal processing might need some hardware the 2box module doesn't have. I think it is also difficult to make different sounds for different spots of a drum in a sample-based system like 2box. I believe it's easier for Roland because they are modeling.

Dr.Wu

AFAIK the positional sensing data can be transmitted from a TD over MIDI to select between several samples in Superior 2.0.
I saw that in a youtube video and it sounded awesome!

Deve Loper

Hi.

Positional sensing can be done with the current DrumIt Five hardware.
However, you need a pad with the sensor in the middle.
Our next rubber pads will have this.
Sometime later on, I'll investigate the signal from the Roland pads as well.

The sounds itself are all built on an 8 zone structure.
Currently the cymbals use up to 3 and the snare / toms 2 zones.
But someone (?) who is stubborn enough and has the time (!), might record a multi-layer snare with 7 zones (the 8th being the rim). It'll be big though ... :-)

3drum

Currently I own 3- ddrum3 modules and have had them for 15 years. Positional sensing is huge. I even use my ddrums with their positional sensing capabilities to control the current lines of drum VST's. Many VST's have left hand, right hand , and rim hits. In this case, I usually assign Positions 1-3 for left hand, 4-6 for right hand, and 7-8 for rim. This is very effective!  The Larry Seyers Acoustic Drum library for Giga studio takes advantage of all 8 zones. Samples were taken from 8 positions on each drum, from outer edge to center for every drum. Mapping these drums to a DrumIt 5 with positional sensing would be mind blowing.

mandubien

Ok, my turn now for this wish list

I played a lot on Roland TD12, so here is a short list on things you can add :

- Metronome : the most important to me, especially if we will use loops when software will be available.
- More options for samples : EQ, compression, fx, strainer for snare drum etc....
- Sequencer : probably when software will be ready, but something to record and then play in live
- Hi-hat : improve the accuracy : it's for now almost impossible to play with an almost semi-open sound (on a ladder from 1 to 5, where 1 is closed, you can play only 1 and 4-5).
- New samples, with more electronic sounds (acoustic samples are very good, I will add mines from my Pearl MMX but for now I'm very satisfied).

puttenvr

Mandubien, please buy a Roland kit
Then you will be satisfied with all those options

mandubien

Quote from: puttenvr on January 21, 2010, 05:52:42 PM
Mandubien, please buy a Roland kit
Then you will be satisfied with all those options

No I won't, since the sound on 2box is MUCH better. I was just thinking about some options which are available on Roland that are very useful. I just want to contribute to the success of 2box Now if I'm not allowed to say what I think....

puttenvr

Ofcourse you are
But you want electronic sounds and lots of gadgets which are inside every Roland kit
Hence ...

mandubien

Quote from: puttenvr on January 21, 2010, 08:00:15 PM
Ofcourse you are
But you want electronic sounds and lots of gadgets which are inside every Roland kit
Hence ...

Yes I want more electronic sounds since I play in a french band for associations, weddings.... and sometimes I need electronic sounds. Then I don't think EQ, compression is useless. You can define your own samples more personally. And metronome is to me an obligation when you play with loops.

It was just some suggestions to play with a better kit. Just hope it will help  ;)

Scottie

Quote from: mandubien on January 21, 2010, 08:20:40 PM
Yes I want more electronic sounds since I play in a french band for associations, weddings.... and sometimes I need electronic sounds. Then I don't think EQ, compression is useless. You can define your own samples more personally. And metronome is to me an obligation when you play with loops.

It was just some suggestions to play with a better kit. Just hope it will help  ;)

Hi mandubien

All suggestions are welcome. It is only natural that user's are going to have different needs and wants with the kit.

Thanks
Scott

hwasser

So the positional sensing works with positional sensing-pads?

boekhour

Quote from: mandubien on January 21, 2010, 04:04:04 PM
- Hi-hat : improve the accuracy : it's for now almost impossible to play with an almost semi-open sound (on a ladder from 1 to 5, where 1 is closed, you can play only 1 and 4-5).

I agree, I noticed it's openend or closed and it's very difficult to achieve the in between half open sound. Please fix this, my dear 2box.

puttenvr

Quote from: hwasser on January 26, 2010, 08:56:10 AM
So the positional sensing works with positional sensing-pads?

There are NO positional sensing pads
Only software settings, which make positional sensing possible on some pads

hwasser

Yeah, i mean pads that supports "positional sensing"