News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Ableton Live Midi Instrument

Started by Steinbock, December 29, 2012, 02:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steinbock

Hi Guys,

I have the following issue and hope someone can help me.

I am a recording beginner.

I would like to record my playing through Midi in Ableton Live using the drumit five sounds.

So I connected the Midi out to my Focusrite Saffire USB device (Midi in). In the Midi Menue I set PRGCHG to ON, LOCAL ON and THRU off, Channel 10.

On my MIDI track of Ableton, I can see all the notes I played but there is no sound attached to it. Now the question is: How do I do this? In the manual there is only a note saying "if LOCAL is set to ON, the own sounds of drumit five are used". So are the respective sounds also sent through the midi cable or do I have to install the sound libraries separately and if yes how do I do this?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Thomas

edtc

it s normal because you only record Midi notes this way...

to hear back the sound , you ll have to plug a second MIDI cable from computer s out to 2boxes input...

fishmonkey

Quote from: Steinbock on December 29, 2012, 02:18:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I have the following issue and hope someone can help me.

I am a recording beginner.

I would like to record my playing through Midi in Ableton Live using the drumit five sounds.

So I connected the Midi out to my Focusrite Saffire USB device (Midi in). In the Midi Menue I set PRGCHG to ON, LOCAL ON and THRU off, Channel 10.

On my MIDI track of Ableton, I can see all the notes I played but there is no sound attached to it. Now the question is: How do I do this? In the manual there is only a note saying "if LOCAL is set to ON, the own sounds of drumit five are used". So are the respective sounds also sent through the midi cable or do I have to install the sound libraries separately and if yes how do I do this?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Thomas

MIDI is a controller protocol, it defines which notes (and other controls) to play, it doesn't actually have a 'sound'. essentially it's a form of music notation.

to achieve what you are wanting to do requires a bi-directional MIDI connection from the 2 Box module, and an audio connection from the module to your computer. first you record the MIDI information (which you have already done). then you need to play the MIDI back to the drum module to trigger the sounds in the module, and record the audio output of the module.

alternatively, you could use the recorded MIDI information to trigger drum software on your computer, e.g. BFD2, Superior Drummer, Addictive Drums, etc.

note that there is no way you can install the sounds from the 2 Box module onto your computer (well, you could do it in a roundabout way if you really really really wanted to, but it wouldn't make much sense to do so).

Steinbock

Thanks a lot for your useful comments, connecting the second midi cable helped a lot :-)